Shevia - O.hummelincki

We have two dogs and I thought when I let them in he may freak out! Not at all! He was following them around! Hopefully he wasn't watching them and thinking how tasty they'd be!! LOL

LOL To funny! Its a very good thing the dogs dont bother him. Other wise you might have a situ on your hands lol.

I named my octos in a number of ways... My first didnt have a name (died 24 hours later), second was HP Lovecraft as my husband LOVES his work and it is very octopus-ish/strange. My third was named Junior because he was super tiny, maybe an inch (thought to not be alive). Forth-is Sedona (yay I actually believe shes still alive) because I LOVE that name. My 5th Isis is because I knew she was a she and so I named her after the Egyptian mother.

None of them had any real reason to them... except to me lol.

I know! They really don't care about the fish tanks! We have a few and everyone once in a while they will look at it, but otherwise, they don't care!
I may wait to name him until my step-son sees him. He will be here Monday, so we will see what he comes up with!! (Usually something silly since he is 5)

JMP;168129 said:
We have two dogs and I thought when I let them in he may freak out! Not at all! He was following them around! Hopefully he wasn't watching them and thinking how tasty they'd be!! LOL

My cat loves to paw at my octopus which scares her of course, so its good that you dont have that issue.

He (nameless) has been out alot today! I absolutely love it! I wasn't expecting him to be so social! He keeps coming out, exploring, and changing colors (which is absolutely magnificant)!!!! HE IS SO AWESOME!!! He is just hangin out on the glass right now!

Adult hummelincki almost always take thawed frozen shrimp from a feeding stick (either a bamboo skewer or an acrylic rod made for that purpose). Shell on seems to attact them a bit more (and with Monty is the only way he will take them) but up until my picky little guy (and I have decided he is not hummelincki) all my Caribbean two-spots have eaten it reliably. Start with a piece 1/4 - 1/2 the mantle size and touch it to the suckers. Don't freak out when it wants the stick too :biggrin2:

The other, even more universal food is fiddler crabs and I have found that hermits removed from their shell (we have frozen them to kill them and then broken the shell open with pliers to extract the whole animal) offered in the same manner is happily accepted. I have never had any luck with the small frozen Krill but have never tried/found any that are closer to shrimp size. A new item I have found that my guys are eating are some snails I picked up at a Korean market. After I brought them home, I realized I did not know if they were a fresh or saltwater variety and when I looked up escargot on-line it said most are land animals (these were in a bucket of water in the store). I tested one in fresh and one in saltwater and the one in saltwater came out and started crawling leisurely where the one in freshwater tucked all the way into its shell. Since neither dissolved and turned to slime, I stuck them in an empty tank and they are surviving well (as long as I don't put them in with the octopuses :roll:). I only put these in the tank on occassion but it gives variety.

dwhatley;168153 said:
Don't freak out when it wants the stick too :biggrin2:.

He definately took the stick both times I tried! And I mean, literally took the stick! I wasn't expecting him to have such a strong grip so he pulled it right out of my hand!!! LOL

We actually found the shell from the krill earlier. So he did eat it! I just left it in there hoping he would eat! But first, my fiance put in two porcelin crabs (floated them for 20 min) and he Immediately came out and snatched one! So, I am really relieved he ate! I was getting a little concerned!!! We then left for a few hours and now he is much more colorful. Not that he wasn't magnificantly changing colors before, but when he was out moving around, he tended to be just brown. Now he is more colorfil brown with some white! He also came right out and followed me around. So, much more social (again not that he wasn't) and quicker in his movements. So hopefully this is a good sign! Or at least that's the way I look at it!!

LOL I tried to order from them... They never sent my order out. A week or two went by and I finally emailed him. He didnt have any in stock and didnt know when he would. Bad company all around. To my knowledge no one has ever received anything from them.

Go to sach aquaculture they have a great rep and we all use them here. I order from them every 2 weeks.

I do I have used them a lot, great people. It is the nephew of Tom from Tom's Caribbean Tropicals, one of our octopus sources. He also lists the octopuses that Tom does but everyone seems to just order them from Tom. If you order from both cramer and Tom will notice that the return address is the same for both companies. Great company, good people. I think SKzipcode got them during a bad family tragedy. They went through some problems a while back cause a family member was in the hospital and they were not fishing.

Ah... that would explain what happened. I havent heard good things though, I wonder why. I know Toms has a great rep and I have ordered from him a few time. Thats a shame about the family situation. I might be willing to give them another try.

I would have to agree with CaptFish. I've ordered from them a few times and I think they are great people. I've recieved a few DOA's, but he's given me a full credit for all of them. The crabs for octopus food are really nice. I ordered them once, but only have made it alive. The half that made it didn't last long though.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back