Shells in Nepal?

I was digging up my storage chest when I found something interesting.
2 fossils from my Mom's trip from Nepal! Here's some pics:

Attachments

• conv_302106.jpg
    conv_302106.jpg
    412.1 KB · Views: 140
  • conv_302107.jpg
    conv_302107.jpg
    434 KB · Views: 122
  • conv_302108.jpg
    conv_302108.jpg
    443.3 KB · Views: 124
The left one's different from the middle+right one, which are from the same rock but cut in half.
The ciricle one's the other hlaft of the left pic from the top post.
The last one's just for added deail and note that it does look a bit shiny and I'm sure it's not a drill bit since I boiled the rocks to open them. :biggrin2:

Attachments

• conv_287649.jpg
    conv_287649.jpg
    426.9 KB · Views: 115
  • conv_287650.jpg
    conv_287650.jpg
    424 KB · Views: 103
Wow, Thanks Chrono! Looks like you have come up with three ceph-tastic fossiloids.

Looks like you've got a not only a belemnite there but a belemnite phragmocone too. The phragomocone is the thin conical chambered shell inside the body of the animal; in your mum's fossil it may be preserved in pyrites, hence its shiny nature. I've no idea what species the ammonite is though, I'm afraid.

Any idea whereabouts in Nepal they come from? Strange to think the mountainous Himalayan states used to be sea bed!

Thanks again,

Phil

Actually,

As a suggestion could the ammonite be Perisphinctes, perhaps? A quick Google search tells me that these are found in Nepal, and certainly the ribbing splits in a similar manner, though the ribs look a little tighter packed in your fossil. If it is, it would be mid Jurassic, somewhere about 155mya. Have a look at the attached photo to compare:

Opinions anyone?

Phil

Attachments

• conv_287651.jpg
    conv_287651.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 102
Chrono,

These just look like the nodules that, if I remember correctly, David Attenborough came up with, crawling through a ravine or a river bed in the Himalayas, filming for
"Lost worlds, vanished lives". Anyone seen it recently ?

AndyS

Kevin RBFH ! :biggrin2:
btw, got a new 1.5kg lump hammer on Saturday with sexy red fibreglass handle, will post if interested :cool2:

Andy, got LWVL for Crimbo but at my age forgotten it already though on Earth Story this week, the vary same black shale nodules were being cracked open whilst covering mountain formation.

Phil, I'm with you on the ID, dead ringer for a Perisphincter.

Keef

Chrono-war01,

Boiling nodules to open and expose the fossil within is a very professional way to do it. In the case of your fossils it worked just fine, however it might not work on all nodules. If you would have had alot more you could have tested the boiling method on a few small, or insignificant samples to make sure it didnt destroy them. Most preparators usually crack nodules open with a Hammer to see if there is a fossil inside or to see how it is oriented within the nodule. Then it is cemented back together and other mechanical means (air scribes, grinders etc.) are used to expose the fossil again. So if one method works, use it.

In the UK, R usually stands for Royal, but could be Really. :biggrin2:

me & Big Kev are great aesthetes of the marteau & know exactly what a RBFH is as is the means (on occasssion) with which to release the trapped beauty of creatures long dead from their encapsulation.

F is to frag

rather than boiling your nodules :biggrin2: try a few freeze/thaw cycles, can help release the matrix/fossil boundary meaning less effort required at the fragging stage !

Keeef

p.s; boil chickens' nodules for 3 mins straight into boiling pan for pukka, snotty but hot dippy egg - yum !

Keef, any pics of that Royal Beauty Fragmentation Hammer? I imagine there is gold gilded scroll work on the red handle...

sometimes F is for friggin or flippin, of course Country Joe and the Fish would spell something else with an F at old time rock and nodule rollin festivals..."Gimme an F" :roll:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back