Shell Layering - Why?

Fujisawas Sake

Larger Pacific Striped Octopus
Supporter
Most molluscs have two calcareous shell layers, the outer prismatic layer and inner nacreous layer. What I was wondering is if there are any theories as to why this might be? I have a Cretaceous ammonite fossil that still has some of the nacreous layer intact, and I was wondering if there might be any evolutionary advantage to having calcium crystals in the shell in two distinct layers (one that gives us that oh-so-pretty Mother of Pearl of which we are so fond).

Thoughts?

Architeuthoceras

Architeuthis
Staff member
A smooth inner "nacreous" layer for the mantle to be next to, and the outer "prismatic" layer to face the elements and/or corrosive sea water.

I read somewhere that fossil spirulids have 3 layers, another smooth layer outside because the shell is internal, will have to look this up.8-)

Fujisawas Sake

Larger Pacific Striped Octopus
Supporter
Layering and shell structure has taken all sorts of evolutionary turns, especially with the advent of the pulmonate gastropods. The texture of the nacreous layer is a good call.

Architeuthoceras

Architeuthis
Staff member
Architeuthoceras;85740 said:
I read somewhere that fossil spirulids have 3 layers, another smooth layer outside because the shell is internal, will have to look this up.8-)
Oops!:oops:

Looks like what I remember isnt what I remember at all. An orthocone formerly referred to Bactritida (?Ammonoidea) is referred to Spirulida (Coleoidea) because of the lack of a nacreous layer. Seems the Spirulida and this Orthocone have 2 prismatic layers.

Doguzhaeva, L., Mapes, R., and Mutvei, H., 1999, A Late Carboniferous Spirulid Coleoid from the Southern Mid-Continent (USA) Shell Wall Ultrastructure and Evolutionary Implications, in: Advancing Research on Living and Fossil Cephalopods, edited by Oloriz and Rodriguez-Tovar. Kluwer Academic/Plenum Publishers

Graeme

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
I would have thought that the inner layer would cater for movement within the shell, while reducing friction.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
King.God

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak