Shedd Visit

im not sure august anywhere in the country (except maybe maine, pac NW or alaska) is kind to any of our cool weather visitors... dont think youre odd on the liver/kidney thing....thats like eating a cars oil filter.... my guess about the hot dogs is that everythings been pureed and the jungle was 80 years ago :smile: everyone is welcome for that wonderful imagery... fortunately ive never been subjected to white castle....

Moog, that jelly picture is awesome! The faint blurriness plus light and color really makes it cool...I might try to set that up as my desktop wallpaper.

Enjoy Chicago while you can, it's a neat town, really. Wish I could think of a lot of cool places to send you, but I always blank out when I try to think of them. They're there, trust me!

Actually...did I interpret this to mean you're in Chicago 'till August? If so, one thing I would highly recommend is that you make every effort to attend the Taste of Chicago, which will be ramping up here in a few weeks. A very large street festival, wherein prominent local restaurants provide a wide variety of their fares in relatively small portions. Thus, you can flit from stand to stand and "taste" the restaurants of Chicago. Big, crowded, almost always hot, but fun.

For years, my family has camped out on the lakefront on the third of July, picnic-style. One of us retrieves food, and we eat at a leisurely pace, drink cool drinks from our cooler, and wait for dark, when the City's massive fireworks display starts, fired off from barges in the lake. On the side of the Shedd Aquarium is a fine sloping grass lawn that's the perfect place to view the show. For some reason it's never as crowded as many of the other places in the lakefront park are, despite being an ideal location.

If you have the time, I highly recommend trying to make the taste and/or fireworks. And yes...for some reason, the City holds them on the 3rd, not the 4th as is traditional. I'm not sure why...perhaps it was to respect the parades and fireworks shows of the many neighboring communities, which would otherwise lose attendees to Chicago's huge display.

rusty

Kiboko, what jungle was 80 years ago? Am I being stupid (probably)! :?

Really glad you like the jellyfish Rusty, I would feel quite honoured if you used it! I have a version of it with more pixels if it comes up a bit pixelly on magnification, let me know and I can email it to you.

And I am here till August, parents are flying in on the 1st July and staying downtown for a week, so, I can stay where they are (instead of the suburbs) and see all the fireworks and go to the Taste of Chicago, it starts today or tomorrow. May take them to the grass outside the Shedd if it's a bit more empty, they said there were a million people on the lakefront last year!!!

Quite exciting, looking forward to it, I've got loads of spare time (sorry Phil, I am doing some work) so am off to see dinosaurs next week.....

Also going to New York and Las Vegas, might as well do it while I'm here

Moog

Moog,

The Jungle was written 80 years ago, a book by Upton Sinclair, I may have that wrong, about the meat industry. Pretty scathing on many levels, from slaughterhouse conditions and practices to working conditions. That may have been about the time labor unions started to take hold in the US.

Melissa

Melissa said:
WK and I may be 20 years older than we like to admit!

doubtful :smile: i just goofed on the date... i knew it was pre-depression so i threw out a guesstimate (apparently a poor one) more than a handful of people started investigating vegetarian eating after reading it....

Great, Moog! I hope you and your parents enjoy yourselves. I'd recommend trying to catch a baseball game if you can, Cubs or Sox. As a Cubs fan I'd recommend seeing them...just a LITTLE biased, you understand.

I can't comment much on Vegas or NY...my one experience of NY wasn't too positive, but that may have been unfair to the city...we didn't do anything resembling a tour, nor did we see any sights. Vegas is not really my style of place...so much flash and glitz to the point of oppressiveness, and all for a pastime that I've never found terribly fun (especially since it costs you lots of MONEY!)

Yup, a million people sounds about right. Spread out over a very long lakefront park, but still, very crowded. That's why our Shedd location is so unusual...great site, yet never quite as insanely crowded as other spots. Crowded, absolutely, but much better. Unfortunately, this looks like one of those rare years I might miss the Taste and the 3rd fireworks, or I'd invite you and your family to join us out there.

rusty

Viva Las Vegas! The place can be a bit odd, but I always have a fun, weird time when I am there...kinda like a large version of Venice Beach with more lights! If you go, spend the 110 bucks and see the Seigfreid and Roy show...unbelievably funny and entertaining...trust me on that one! There is also a series of "theme" parks , ie:star trek, pirates, etc...quite fun!
Hope you have a fun time at the Taste...I am green with envy of ya'll! :mrgreen:
Greg

First of all, thanks Rusty for your kind thought to invite me and the aged P's to the fireworks, shame you're not going! I should be seeing a cubs game soon, people keep telling me they will take me here and there, so I just wait and see......very much looking forward to the Taste too, Greg!

Las Vegas is booked! Hooray! 2 nights only.
Two exciting trips tourists don't do that often -
1) The morgue this friday (hopefully no tourists there)
2) the Fermi Lab, the stuff I did for my PhD crosses very very slightly with their stuff, so should be v v v good.

I don't want to go home!!!
:cry:

Moog

The Moog said:
I don't want to go home!!!
:cry:

You may apply for citizenship at your local Immigration and Naturalization Service office, a friendly division of the Department of Homeland Security. :wink: :heee: :goofysca:

Don't tell them about the ceph-thing, though. They prolly think we have enough weirdoes here already... :tentacle: :meso: :oshea:

rusty

You're the second person to ask me that! So I suppose I should, it houses their original reactor doesn't it?

This is rather physicssy for a ceph thing is it not?
:heee:

And I'm seeing Cubs v Sox on saturday night!!!!!

One last windy city suggestion - I am very very fond of the Chicago Museum of Contemporary Art. Although the museum at the Art Institute is more renowned, I find the contemporary work to be much more compelling, and they have a great permanent collection in addition to good temporary exhibits. :grad:

Ah, Moog, you lucky, lucky person! Way to go! Cubs Vs. Sox...what better game to see in Chicago? It will be at Comiskey, so you won't get to experience Wrigley, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Some folks (cough-soxfans-cough) hate Wrigley, feeling it's too archaic, and Comiskey certainly is a NICE modern park...it's just...those high seats...might I recommend bringing a pair of binoculars? I'm mostly not joking...

rusty

It's so exciting, I am so lucky!!!

Someone else warned me about the seats too, for that reason, I'm staying off the beer, but I have my camera with a 7x zoom...had seats like that in the London Palladium when Phil and I saw Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (for Brian Blessed reasons you understand) thought I was going to fall forward.....and I didn't know there was a museum of contemporary art!

The same person who's taking me to the game on saturday is taking me to Wrigley Field at some point, they want me to experience the whole thing! I keep forgetting I'm supposed to be lecturing, at some point I have to write a 2 hour lecture on the "British Healthcare system", by next tuesday. :sleeping:

So Rusty, you must be a Cubs fan??? :heee:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back