Sharks Fight Squid For Ocean Dominance - Popular Fidelity (blog)

Discussion in 'The Octopus' Den' started by octobot, Mar 10, 2010.

1. octobot

octobot Robotic Staff Staff Member Robotic Staff

[​IMG]
    [SIZE=-2]Popular Fidelity (blog)[/SIZE]

Sharks Fight Squid For Ocean Dominance
    [SIZE=-1]Popular Fidelity (blog)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]That area, considered a biological desert due to the lack of sea life, was home to only one major food supply: giant squid. Of course, the squid also ...[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]Leviathans may battle in remote depths[SIZE=-1]Los Angeles Times[/SIZE][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]Sharks and Squids: Battling Leviathans of the Deep[SIZE=-1]DigitalJournal.com[/SIZE][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]Great white sharks' migration more complex than once thought[SIZE=-1]89.3 KPCC[/SIZE][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]all 9 news articles[/SIZE]

More...

2. octobot

octobot Robotic Staff Staff Member Robotic Staff

Giant squid could be on great whites' menu - AZ Central.com

Giant squid could be on great whites' menu
    [SIZE=-1]AZ Central.com[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]For more reserved scientists, the possible link between sharks and squid, suggested by marine ecologist Michael Domeier of the Marine Conservation Science ...[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1][/SIZE]

More...

3. tonmo

tonmo Titanites Staff Member Webmaster Moderator

This has been a big story over the past week or so, so I'm making this sticky. My question for fellow TONMOers is, is the Great White vs. Giant Squid story something that got lost in translation, and it was really supposed to be an obversation about Great White vs. Jumbo Squid?

The source of this story is Michael Domeier of the Marine Conservation Science Institute in Fallbrook. Does anyone here know him? Would be great to get clarification.

4. tonmo

tonmo Titanites Staff Member Webmaster Moderator

Re: Sharks Fight Squid For Ocean Dominance - Popular Fidelity (blog)

Here's an interview video forwarded to me by a coworker.

Michael Domeier interview

5. GPO87

GPO87 Sepia elegans Staff Member Moderator

I've always considered sharks to be visual hunters. I know they use electroreception to track prey, but for some reason I can't see them diving down to hunt squid at depth! Especially since if it is "jumbo squid" instead of "giant squid", which seem to migrate to the surface anyways! Plus, sharks take a while to change their position in the water column, it doesn't seem energy efficient to hunt at depth. I'm not sure I beleive this battle for ocean dominance is particularily realistic!

6. OB

OB Colossal Squid Staff Member Moderator

Adam Clem told me about this, and I hadn't seen the official data yet, but the recorded dives are there and the lack of apparent prey in the fish/pinniped range, also. Sleeper sharks have been found with colossal squid remains in their stomachs, so...