Shark Teeth Found Stuck in Ancient Ammonite Shell - Wired News (blog)

octobot

Robotic Staff
Staff member
Robotic Staff

[SIZE=-2]Wired News (blog)[/SIZE]

Shark Teeth Found Stuck in Ancient Ammonite Shell
[SIZE=-1]Wired News (blog)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]The palm-sized ammonite, an extinct marine animal and distant relative of the modern nautilus, was fossilized with three shark teeth stuck in its shell, plus holes from the bite. Shark bite marks have been found in other fossils, such as crocodile poop ...[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1][/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]http://news.google.com/news/more?pz=1&ned=us&ncl=dFmilSqQSCyMckM[/SIZE]

More...

I don't know why I always have to play the antagonist...

It just don't look embedded to me, it looks like it is just laying beside or against the shell. It looks like the sutures are still there, in good shape, if it were embedded and pulled of of the sharks mouth you would think there would be some damage. If the pointy end was sticking into the shell you could make a good case for embedment.

:razz:

Perhaps an additional question to ask is what sized shark would possess those sizes of teeth (I am not familiar with the ratios of teeth to body size)?

Regardless, the ammonite was not consumed so was the shark just 'tasting' the ammonite?

It would be a really cool find if there is some additional information to confirm the statements...

Greg

I'm with Kevin on this one, although it's a great fossil, I see a shark tooth laying on top of an ammonite. If a possibly 7 ft. shark bit into a small ammonite you would really think there would be a whole lot of damage done to the shell. :hmm:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back