Several PGOs in Their Dens at Madrona Point

How far apart were these? One pair appeared to be within arm's reach.

I have noticed in all your videos that the fish have no fear of the GPOs at all which suggests fish are not on the GPOs menu.

The pair were within 7 meters or so from the one in the clip before. There is a decent density at Madrona Point, seems pretty good habitat although the feed is so so - not many swimming scallops around, these PGOs are crabbers mostly. I think the rockfish have a pretty good relationship with the octopus, you see the yelloweye often very close, also the tigers. Sizewise these are mediums - 20-30 lbs, maybe the biggest around 40 max.

Madrona Point is a pretty good shore dive for viewing octopus. It's a little deep to spend much time, but then most of the decent sized octopus are deeper usually. If you take a little time, you can swim the entire wall and see a few on one tank (today I was riding the no deco on my computer up at the end of the dive, but had a little extra oxygen from the last Nitrox fill so a bit more of a safety factor - the computer stays set for air).

Today went for a dive across the bay, off Cottam Point's deep wall. Only sign was some crab litter, looks like maybe a small one around. Madrona seems to be a preferred habitat. Next dive I'm probably going to check in at the dens off Cottam Point's tip, they are wolf eel and octopus dens.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back