[Octopus]: Seven + - Unidentified - Newbie with Octopus meant for sushi

Very interesting journals! Still in the middle of reading Diablo- he's gorgeous! And the photos are amazing. I must step up my photography :lol: Enough of my mobile phone shots, time to bring out the camera! :roflmao:

Speaking of possessions, my Ollie (O. bimaculoides) slept with her arm around a little blue glass bottle that I had given her.

Yes D, it was Ollie who would pull the inner magnet off the glass as a way of summoning us. Big crash, we came running! She also took the inner magnet back to her den, then dangled it outside the den held by just one or two suckers, and when I tried to retrieve the magnet, she zapped it back into her den! I guess she thought this was a fun game.

Nancy

It was the water. Weird. I tested the water Friday, and got Nitrate at somewhere in between 20 to 40ppm, everything else at zero. Did a 30% water change on Saturday (tested the new water), and that's when we had all the Lego fun. He was out of the water Sunday evening and Monday morning, and after reading D's reply, tested the water- only to find out that Nitrate was in between 80 and 160ppm. Eeps! Did a major water change, and Seven seemed to look a little better again.

So yeah, having a small tank sucks :hmm: I need to convince the hubby to let me get a bigger tank.

It was the water. Weird. I tested the water Friday, and got Nitrate at somewhere in between 20 to 40ppm, everything else at zero. Did a 30% water change on Saturday (the new water was tested :lol:), and that's when we had all the Lego fun. He was out of the water Sunday evening and Monday morning, and after reading D's reply, tested the water- only to find out that Nitrate was in between 80 and 160ppm. Eeps! :shock: Did a major water change, and Seven seems to look a little better again.

So yeah, having a small tank sucks :hmm: I need to convince the hubby to let me get a bigger tank.

Seven and his Lego boat (this was prior to the water change).

How do I embed images as opposed to attaching?

Thumbnail
_MG_6006 blackbg.jpg

Full Image
_MG_6006 blackbg.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
After you download the image, you can choose to display them within the message (where the cursor is positioned so it is a good idea to click <Enter> after text). You can embed thumbnails or the full original. I recommend thumbnails for photos and full images for very small graphics for the best viewing.

I editted the above post so you can see how the thumbnail and the full image embed look. Even if you do not embed, viewers can click the tiny image to see all images in the thread in a slide show (also true with embedding the thumbnails) so all is not lost but the journal presents better with the embedded images.

Nitrates are not a huge problem (except at very high levels - yours were high), ammonia and nitrites are at any detectable level.

Are you using ocean water or synthetic? If synthetic, are you mixing with tap water or distilled or RO/DI?Most of us use synthetic with RO/DI water (water that has been filtered for both chemicals and minerals). Tap water often contains chlorine as well as traces of metals that are harmful. The RO/DI (reverse osmosis/ deionize) process removes these dangers. Seawater can carry its own problems if collected near shore, depending on the pollution of the area.

Thanks, D! I'll try and figure that out later.

I'm using natural seawater that I buy from a LFS. I tested the water again, results are good: Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 20ppm, ph8.0, Salinity 0.24.

Seven is probably thinking how silly I am- when he was in hiding, I kept on wishing he would come out. Now that he's out, I keep on thinking he should go back in :bonk:

Oooh! There! Thanks again, D!

pull1.jpg

This was before I left for work today. Sorry for the crappy photo. Seven was plastered on the glass half out of water (within reaching distance!) and I took that as an opportunity to see if I could touch him. I touched an arm, and he tried to pull my finger/s towards him. Pulled until the corner of the tank, and until my finger was a little too near his mouth that I was comfortable with, so I had to pull my hand back (took a while- not as easy as I thought it would be!).

He decided to go to the Lego after our hand pulling. Allowed me to pet his head/mantle twice, then hid his mantle inside the Lego and hugged it (inverted hug? with his mantle inside and his mouth outside). I took that as a sign of "do not disturb!"

Prior to this, I was only able to "pet" him once sometime two weeks ago (before he went into hiding), and it was more an accident than anything else. I put my hand in when he was swimming, and passed my hand a couple of times and allowed me to move my hand around him.

I don't know how stressful this morning's attempt at petting him was. I don't want to add to his stress, but he's always seemed to tolerate me, and sees me as that annoying being who likes to disturb him.

Each animal is different about being "petted". I have had some that were extremely interactive and came to be touched on a regular basis and others that never allowed contact. I have a totally anecdotal thought that, as they age, their skin "itches" and a hand/finger makes a great, soft scratching post. Age is not the only time they will decide to make contact though. Coming soon to a journal near you :wink: is a great video of an octopus using a keepers hand to groom (removing dead sucker skin). When @haggs gets around to making a post, I'll add a link :sagrin:.

Speaking of octopuses coming out of the water, this news post shows a GPO crawling on land. Where O. rubescens has been spotted climbing out on land to snatch a crab outside a tidepool, it is not common for GPOs to be seen out of the water except during senescence.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back