[Octopus]: Seven + - Unidentified - Newbie with Octopus meant for sushi

meekerz

O. vulgaris
Registered
Reaction score
It has now been a week of Seven hanging out in the upper corner of the tank. He sticks to the glass and is mostly in the water, with one or two arms out. He has not hidden in his den for a week.

It's nice that I can see him all the time now, and partly weird. He's okay with me bothering him sometimes, allowing me to touch. Then after a while he would curl up in an obvious "do not disturb me" position, but would not move from his corner. He seems rather attached to the filter tube that's there.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
Is there water flow near the filter tube? My strictly observational guessing (no read scientific literature) suggests that their brachial hearts (the two that oxygenate the blood from the gills) seem to weaken in senescence (in addition to seeing older animals start hanging around Koralias and filters, some of my dwarfs appeared to have a "stroke" like incident where one side stopped functioning). The extra waterflow may help their breathing if my thoughts hold any water.

I think I have mentioned that I have also have conjectured that their skin may become "itchy" and petting scratches the itch.

meekerz

O. vulgaris
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, there is water flow! I thinking along the lines of that as well, that he likes the water. I thought it was more 'soothing', like being near the beach ;p Ah, to humanize your pets.

Tho, Seven likes being contrary. It seems like everytime I post something about him, he goes and does something different. Just this morning (before reading your reply) I found in a different corner, farther away from the filter.

meekerz

O. vulgaris
Registered
Reaction score
Aaaand here I go again, with my newb mistakes.

My friend gave me two pistol shrimps without claws, about 2 inches long each. I actually did a search first (I'm learning a little!) and seeing no negative results, decided to put them in the tank with Seven. Also, since Seven caught/killed live sand shrimp a few weeks ago, and these guys having no claws anymore, I figured they should be safe until Seven decides he's hungry, or they're too annoying.

So the first problem was that the two pistols didn't seem to like each other. I didn't want it to become a problem with them killing each other, so I decided to remove one.

As the pistol was trying to get away from me, it bumped into Seven, who immediately caught it. I ran to get my phone to take video of it. The entire time, I thought Seven was trying to kill it for disturbing him. It was only after a while that my companion realized that Seven was struggling to get away from the shrimp and was trying to push it away. The shrimp looked like it was biting Seven and was refusing to let go. We had to intervene with chopsticks to get them separated- and even that took a while.

Now that I look back at the video, I feel stupid for not realizing sooner what was happening.

Needless to say, the two pistol shrimps were removed from the tank immediately.

The video is low resolution, and a little disturbing and will make you want to throw a pistol shrimp at me. :confused:

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting and not a noobie mistake. Many shrimp can be aggressive but, with a healthy animal, the octo wins dinner. A noted exception is the mantis shrimp. An experiment @Neogonodactylus did with a blue ring several years ago resulted in an unexpected dinner for the shrimp and not the other way around. Size does matter in determining prey vs predator but, octopuses can usually take down shrimp close to their own size without difficulty. However, pistol shrimp have quite a punch (like the mantis) and may not be a good live food offering (not something we have other reports about). Roy?

It is likely that Seven is in senescence and weak. The skin is beginning to deteriorate, attracting the shrimp to dinner (or defense) and Seven can no longer defend or go on the attack. It is unusual that he is still eating and dead food offerings are likely best (if he eats at all).

Here is Roy's video from 2009. Note the size difference.

Last edited:

meekerz

O. vulgaris
Registered
Reaction score
Whoa. Poor little guy!

Seven is still eating, but is now down to about once a week. I still offer food daily, but he either ignores it or pushes the stick away.

Today marks our 8th week! :smile:

meekerz

O. vulgaris
Registered
Reaction score
Seven looks like he's on his last breath :(

He was acting all erratic this morning, plastered on the glass, breathing hard with arms all over the place. Like something in between convulsing or twitching. Now he's lying on the sand (horizontally), with arms still all twitchy. There looks to be a piece of skin or arm that was shed or broken off.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dr.PS

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak