setup

Discussion in 'Tank Talk' started by frobro1018, Mar 9, 2005.

1. frobro1018

frobro1018 Cuttlefish Registered

hey all

im thinking of setting up a 29 gallon eclipse system for an octo. If anyone has any info or any comments please reply.

franco :mrgreen:

2. dawnchihuahua

dawnchihuahua GPO Registered

Are you thinking of a pigmy octo? Those eclipse tanks are quite nice since they have the built in canopys!

3. Nancy

Nancy Titanites Staff Member Moderator

I'm not totally familiar with the Eclipse - I mean, I've looked at them online and in LFSs, but never opened one up. Could an octo get his arms caught in the filtration or otherwise get into trouble?

Another problem is that the Eclipse is a complete system - it would be difficult of not impossible to add a protein skimmer, which you need even for a small octopus. Even small octopuses will ink.

So the size is good for a dwarf octopus, but I'm not sure that the Eclipse is the best way to go.

Nancy

4. cthulhu77

cthulhu77 Titanites Supporter

Have a friend who thinks the sun rises and sets on Eclipse systems...but, they are not good enough for octos, even dwarves...they were meant for freshwater setups, and have been slightly upgraded to meet some basic salt requirements, but there is no way they could maintain the quality needed for a ceph...sorry !

The best is still the 50-60 gallon tank, with a good filter and a great skimmer...costwise, it is also the most efficient for small octos like a bimac.

greg

5. DHyslop

DHyslop Architeuthis Supporter

I get the impression that dwarfs aren't as interactive and are much more hit-or-miss because when you find one for sale, its typically fully grown with a few weeks or months left to live. Bimacs really seem to be the way to go, with the best of all worlds: intermediate size, aquacultured stock, diurnal behavior.

I agree with Cthulhu: if you're serious about getting an octo, get a "real" setup.

Dan

6. frobro1018

frobro1018 Cuttlefish Registered

thanks

thanks

if it wouldnt work for aN OCTOPUS what about a cuttle

franco :mrgreen:

7. Colin

Colin Colossal Squid Supporter

heh, hope that green smiley means its a joke? LOL :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Joking aside, a cuttle would be an even worse consideration