• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

SETUP OF 75 GALLON FOR BIMAC

zrider79

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Just want to say hello to all you guys, your awesome, i wish i could buy beer for everyone and hang out and just talk about cephs.You guys have so much love for cephs and i feel the same way. I saw videos of the research lab in tx when in high school and have love cuttles since. I am finding that the breed of cuttle i want is hard to get and also should have a chiller on tank due to i live in pensacola fl. I decided with going with a bimac, i found some only a few months old. I want to best that i can afford for my octo. I have a 75 gallon, not drilled yet for sump. I been pondering filtration options vs keeping octo safe. I kinda ruled out hob protein skimmers thinking this may be dangerous for oct. You guys feel free to make me your project. Im asking for methods and ideas for filtration and safety. For example what would be ideal set up for you if you had a 75 gallon for octo. My budget is not one for a 400.00 skimmer. Also i saw this guy on ebay that has a wet and dry filter with phophate reactor, skimmer, and refug built in one unit. I understand the skimmer isnt probably all that good but maybe in addition to a hob, and switch out bio balls for live rock.

:welcome: to TONMO! As far as buying beers and hanging out, that's what TONMOcons are for! Or mini-TONMOcons...

it's pretty hard to come by bimacs these days, don't be shocked if they turn out to be hummelincki, although if you do find a good bimac source, make sure to keep us informed!

monty;122917 said:
it's pretty hard to come by bimacs these days, don't be shocked if they turn out to be hummelincki, although if you do find a good bimac source, make sure to keep us informed!

Monty, you make it sound like hummelincki is a less than second choice when, in fact, I would suggest they are superior. I have yet to read about a bimac that is any more interactive than Octane, the size is ideal and the hummelincki is a perfect octo for the FL climate (they are native and no chiller required). :sagrin:

I run a HOB skimmer on my tank. Coralife Super Skimmer rated for 130(?) I think. Economic price and I'm very pleased with it. I also use a HOB refugium that has a section for a small remote deep sand bed. Although the octopus plays with the pumps that run them occasionally I haven't had any issues, if that helps you out any.

dwhatley;122926 said:
Monty, you make it sound like hummelincki is a less than second choice when, in fact, I would suggest they are superior. I have yet to read about a bimac that is any more interactive than Octane, the size is ideal and the hummelincki is a perfect octo for the FL climate (they are native and no chiller required). :sagrin:

No judgment implied, it's just that I wanted to know if there was a real bimac source, and also mention that most octos claimed to be bimacs have turned out to be hummelincki. Heck, hummelinckis have less stringent requirements and make fine pets, so this isn't a bad thing. But at the moment, we have a lot of bimac documentation in the articles, and hummelincki and aculeatus are mentioned in passing if at all... someone should volunteer to fix that, hint hint.

well i'm quite well, thanks for asking. :smile:

bimacs are great. i havent kept a hummelincki before, but they have quite a good reputation. where did you find octos that you knew the age of? i'd be interested in that dealer.

Thanks again for all info

i wouldnt mind either species, i do like a more social octo, i have decided to get tank drilled to fit 20 gal tank for sump, my lfs have nothing but that running there system. Seems to be alright, Where's paradox the cuttle master !

zrider79;123177 said:
Where's paradox the cuttle master !

Good question, he was expecting captive bred cuttles at last post and then has been quite silent. I thought about sending him a PM to see if he drown in that great tank of his.

another choice you guys and ladies can help me with !

:bugout: which is better in your opinion kent nautilus, reef octopus nw 150, and turboflotor. All around the same amount. but which would be a better quality for my 75 gal w/sump.

Got a aqua c ev 180 now, does anyone use this here ? I still havent got drill work done yet, getting closer alittle, what types of powerheads are safe for octo to not get hurt, what is a safest way to protect against overflow flooding using the sump and skimmer. Does using overflox box better prevent this or drilled is better, what bulkhead size should i use considering octo debris (suction cups or skin sheddings). O. hummelincki is the species i would like to go with, is a 75 gal wide good for him animal mother.

I've got a bimac in a 60 gallon tank. I've only had her for about three months, and I can't compare my setup to any others, but things are working well. I have a chiller that keeps my tank between 60 and 65 degrees, and my whole system is designed around keeping the temp down. The chiller is a major expense, another thing that could break, and temperature drove many of my design decisions, so unless you really prefer a bimac over a hummelincki, I recommend going hummelincki to avoid all of that (I live in San Diego, and wanted to catch and keep only local stuff).
I strongly recommend a skimmer. Mine is an Aquac Remora, it's an in-sump skimmer so I don't have to worry about having any powerheads in the tank with the octopus. I have a built in overflow and an oversized wet/dry filter with bio balls. I went with the wet/dry because I wanted something that could handle all the waste that an octopus produces, and I didn't trust live rock to handle the load. I also wanted local stuff only, and live rock isn't local. The wet/dry has a pre-filter pad which I change (or rinse out) every two or three days.

My wife was ok with me having an octopus in the living room, but she said that if it ever got out and died behind the couch, I was done. So for me, an escape-proof top was a priority. I designed and built one that latches automatically when it is closed, so that I don't have to remember to do anything to make it secure other than just close it (a must for me). I can post pictures and a description if you like.

cool

i been leaning towards hummelincki, rather than bimac due to area temp in fl. Heck ya, you can post or send pics of top and anything else. How did you make it.

:sad: Well guys not to much closer to completion than before. I have only the skimmer and 75 gal tank and stand. I been thinking of a 40 gal rubbermaid for sump, just for my aqua c 180 ev or a glass tank. Looking for good ideas for real good flow and no flooding. Need a mag 7 and 9 ( 7 for return and 9 for skimmer) Not sure what would be best. Still debating the drilled vs overflow, i would rather have enough flow that there would be no need for powerheads or at least just one koralia 3 or 4.

My octopus doesn't need much flow. The return pump cycles the tank about 9 times per hour, which is fine for the octo, but I recently added some strawberry anemone, which need a LOT of flow. I've tried two Koralia #1's (in a 65 gallon tank) and the flow is barely enough. The octo has learned to stay away from them, but I think I'll replace them with two #2's or a #2 and #3. The Koralia's seem a little big and ugly in my little tank, and if you are willing to spend the money, I suspect that tunze 6025's look smaller and better.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back