• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Setting up first Octopus tank

mofitn357

Cuttlefish
Registered
Hi, I am new to tonmo but have been researching cephs for a long time. I have a 120gal tank that I am switching from a reef to octopus tank. It has good filtration and alot of live rock and refugium. I am currently working on restructuring the rockwork and escape proofing the tank.
I have some questions that I am still unsure about after my research-

What bulbs are best to use for octopus tank? I downgraded from my t5 fixture to a 80w fluorescent but am unsure what bulbs to use in it. I read somewhere that 6500k bulbs are best for an octopus. Is this true?
Also what moon lights are best for octo. I was looking at some current ones that were called "reptilian red"

What species would be best suited for a tank this size? I want to get one that will not be completely nocturnal and will be interactive. The tank stays in the high 70's and I am unable to lower this. I know this will rule out some species.

Do I need to cover the opening on return lines? not sure about this. since there is always water moving out through them I was thinking this would not be necessary.

Anyone know of a good website to order from right now to get a positively identified species?

What would be best for me to do about feeding? Would it be worth setting up another tank to raise food at this point?

I know I have asked a lot of questions but any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Nick

Was considering one of these. Is this correct? They seem to be available. If this is true then this would probably be a perfect size species for a 120.

Size wise O.bimaculoides can grow to have a mantle length upto 20cm and a arm length of 2.5-3.5 times the mantle length. The average size in the home aquarium I have seen is a mantle the size of a lemon and a arm span of 24" at the adult stage.

Today, it they are very difficult to find a bimac unless you live in CA (the animals at SaltwaterFish.com are not bimacs). However, your tank is too warm for most of the Pacific octos. For an animal to be successful in the upper 70's, you need to look at Caribbean or Indonesian animals.

Briarieus is crepsecular (early PM/early AM) and will acclimate to most people's evening schedules, gets to be fairly large and would be comfortable in a 120 (SueNami is in a 65 but could use more room). Look at the second post in the List of our octopuses thread and you can get a feel for what has been available in 2009, where they were purchased and how they interacted.

I have two rabbits; they're crepuscular too!
In regards to meshing the return lines, I would say yes, mesh them, because if you should turn the pump off (tank maintenance, power failure etc) those would be an easy escape route.
You'll find that raising food isn't practical. To get a sustainable culture of ceph food going you'd need quite a bit of tank space (hundreds of gallons). However definitely have a small tank to hold food in, so you don't have to run to the store every day :wink:

mofitn357;141944 said:
Thnx for info. BTW bimacs are available at reefscavengers.com

Nope, they just call them that because they have eyespots. The animal they have had under that name has been O. hummelincki, comes from the Caribbean, is small egged and a good pet (age has been the biggest problem with the ones that have been keep by TONMOers). A 120 is overkill but acceptable for O. hummelincki. It has been my favorite for interaction (I keep a tank open for one but it is currently empty :sad:). See my posts for Octane (may be 2008 and not in the linked list) and OhToo.

Unfortunately, even though octos are somewhat seasonal, we really don't have a precise time of availability. I did read tonight that the Mexican octo fishing season is half over and that catches were half of last year. It is not clear why the summer is fishing season though. When I got SueNami, Tom mentioned that young ones usually were found in late spring/early summer.

Size is an arbitrary call but I did get Garrett to measure OhToo after he was perserved. We want to encourage keepers to measure their octos but it is difficult until death and then hard to remember whe you are dealing with the dead animal. Octane could reach a full 18 inches but had an estimated swim arm of somewhere between 7 and 10 inches with a guestimated mantle length of 3".

Although I have no experience with O.vulgaris, I do with another large species (Pinnoctopus cordiformis) and I would say a 120G would be only OK at a pinch, 200G would be much better! These big animals do need room to spread out (200G is too small for P. cordiformis)!

J

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back