• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

setting up a tank for an octo

Bimacs, but you could keep a pygmy in there, neptune, aren't you captive raising them in the near future?
I've kept my bimac in my 20 gallon for a while, but this isn't reccomended as they can get big if fed well. :smile:

Plan on a mecatoris captive breeding program in the future, obsolutely! Nice on picking that up, but it will be the summer after the wife getts used to walking around a few more tanks :P I would love the availability of them with a defined age.

neptune said:
Plan on a mecatoris captive breeding program in the future, obsolutely! Nice on picking that up, but it will be the summer after the wife getts used to walking around a few more tanks :P I would love the availability of them with a defined age.

And maybe they would come out more freely like CB bimacs?

just go to youre pet store and go for a 80 gall starter kit for fish and make sure it has no metal you need a few modifcations like a sump ect thats what im doing :yinyang:

LOL I can not wait to see what is learned about cb meca! Doing mountains of research now, and there is so much to learn. IMO -Theydefinately have there place, and living in Florida, I would love anything that takes pressure of wild species!

well thank you guys and gals?? im gonna log off now and start back work on the tank, ive got to finish drilling the hole for the bulk heads and lok lines and get the back painted etc.

well im back and today went very well drilled 2 tanks(1 cracked grrrrr)its painted and ready for assembly 2marrow i went by the LFS today 2 and im told by the owner(jim) that the small spieces is in fact a pygmy octo so i will get every thing together and running and we will see how the tank does

Hi

'pygmy octopus' can mean any of about 10 species or so... its not an exact science when exporters come to naming octos!!! :frown:

hope you get a nice young one

yeah me too,i will indeed post up pixof the lil guy, when i asked jim(owner of fish haven here in san diego ca) that was the only name that he could come up with is a pygmy octo (39 dollars), and the one i was looking at was no bigger MAYBE my pinky finger, i mean IT WAS TINY, i dont know if i could even find a pic of the lil guy, i felt bad for him they him in a small breeder cup in the display tank, then likei said they had 2 blue ring oct's for 49 dollars, he said he sells a lot of them to the public...........................

yeah no doubt, i felt bad cause you look at the lil guy and he's just all curled up in a small cup waiting for some take him home, and maybe to his death, i sure am glad i found this web site, at leats when i bring one home he's gonna have a good shot at happy healthy life

nice to hear (and help) :smile:

poor blue rings just dont do 'captivity' well at all :frown:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back