• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

setting up a tank for an octo

WELL here's the skinny... the 10 cracked( i was pissed ) soo we went down to LFS and scored(ithink) a 20 gal show tank for 25 bucks,............ i can post up a pic............

i also painted the back of the tank black too so you wont see any hoses or cables to the power, i just wanted to get the L/R and filters and heater going, ............ so we can start the cycle,
NOW THE BIG QUESTION IS...................................... i have, cured L/R, and always use NSW, so how long should i cycle the tank BEFORE adding the octo ??? i can also add my fluval303 if needed, (i have it on my 29 right now only running floss)so it has bacteria in it already what do you guys think??

once you have a bioload similar in mass to what the octopus will be and the tank is showing zero ammonia, zero nitrites and a wee bit of nitrate...

6 - 8 mollies might do the trick and can take between a month and three months... but dont rush it :smile:

Octos are a very sensitive inverts because unlike so many others they dont have a shell or hard exoskeleton... just bare skin

yeah i called that guy jim? over at octo pets.com last night really nice guy he is over in carlsbad about 17 mi from my house he said if I p/u the octo, he could sell me a 2-3 month old for bimac 20 bucks and throw in some red algea too. he said we were welcome to come down and take a free tour of the farm too looks like im gonna have to take my son down there for a tour :biggrin2: i will be sure to take my digi cam with me and take a bunch of pix

alien4fish said:
yeah i called that guy jim? over at octo pets.com last night really nice guy he is over in carlsbad about 17 mi from my house he said if I p/u the octo, he could sell me a 2-3 month old for bimac 20 bucks and throw in some red algea too. he said we were welcome to come down and take a free tour of the farm too looks like im gonna have to take my son down there for a tour :biggrin2: i will be sure to take my digi cam with me and take a bunch of pix

P/U?

Will be looking forward to somenice pics :heee: Do tell us what the place is like.

yeah P/U (picked up ) as in doesnt have to ship :biggrin2: im probably gonna hop on my bike and take a ride ovber there this afternoon when my son gets home from school

I am very jealous! :smile:

I will be getting my octo from jim later this week. prolly thursday, wish I could hop on a bike and go to his place, but from Florida it may take a while.

Enjoy, and PLEEEEEZE take some pics if he will let you!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back