• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Settin Up My First Bimac Tank. Opinions?

Keith

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
Hey, i'm settin up my first bimac tank, and i've got a list of stuff. I'm tryin to get some opinions on if i'm gettin the right equipment.

I've already got a 75 gallon tank and a canopy, here's the stuff i'm lookin at:

a SeaClone 150 gallon skimmer

an Eheim Professionel II Aquarium Filter (canister)

a Seatest Hydrometer from Aquarium Systems

80 lbs. of Ocean Direct Caribbean Live Sand

some Walt Smith Premium Live Fiji Rock

a Rena Air Pump (400 Model)

Coralife 150 gallon Mix Box Scientific Grade Marine Salt

I've also got various test kits from Aquarium Pharmaceuticals and Salifert.

Am I lookin at the right equipment? If i'm not, any suggestions for substitutes? Any info would be much appreciated.

-Keith

:welcome: to TONMO. That sounds reasonable, although I know some folks would say the live sand isn't necessary, and there might be some debates over some of the specific choices. You might consider a sump if you're starting from scratch, and maybe drilling the tank, since those both make it easier to octo-proof. Some people suggest a chiller for bimac tanks, but that probably depends largely on how hot your house gets.

Hi and welcome to TONMO.com!:welcome:

Bimacs are fun to keep! Just be careful that your tank has not been used as a freshwater tank and had any copper treatments - copper is fatal to octopuses.

Monty is right - set up a sump if you can, although a number of our octopus keepers don't have them. If you have a sump, you can put the pump and hte skimmer there.

Nancy

Wow, you guys replied really quick. I've got a few more questions then. To be completely honest, I dont know a thing about sump tanks. Is a sump tank just a housing for other stuff or what? Also, if I wanna drill my tank to make it more escape proof, is there a special kind of bit I should use (like tungsten carbide)? And should I just drill it large enough for a tube then seal with silicone? Lastly, I know one of you said the live sand isn't necessary, but does it have any downsides?

-Keith

well. after a lot of coffee and free time i think i'm schooled on sump tanks. would you guys recommend buying a premade one or building one? if i wanted to build it myself, id probably want to put my skimmer and filter in there just so there's less stuff for my octo to mess with. I've also heard you can put live rock in there. what would you guys recommend? also what should I use? small aquarium? and how big should it be to accommodate a 75 gallon tank?

-Keith

the live sand seems like theres rather alot, you might want to go with more like 50lbs or so.

what type of bimac are you planning to keep?

man. there are a LOT of designs for sump tanks out there. anyone have any suggestions? im lookin to throw a skimmer and filter in there. ideas?

Just depends on how handy you are at building things. You'll save a lot money building one yourself. Whatever tank size will fit underneath the display inside the stand. You should be able to find somewhere to buy acrylic sheets and you can use them to create the baffles in the sump that will seperate the sections for your skimmer/live rock/etc. and determine the depth of the water in the sump. There are some decent videos on youtube on how to make a sump.

If you drill your own tank you'll want to find some bulkheads to insert in the holes. These create kind of a seal with the glass on both sides and have threads so that you can attach plumbing without having to worry much about a leak.

cool cool. is bigger better? and do i need a specific area for a micro bubble catcher? lastly, what order should i place them in? filter/skimmer/bubble catcher to the return line? and what kind of pump should i look for? is there one total or one to put water in and one to return it? sorry for all the questions, i just wanna make sure i do this right. i was in construction for 8 years, im pretty confident about assembling it. thanks for the concern though.

-Keith

Yes, bigger is better as it allows for more overall water volume in the system. You shouldn't need a bubble catcher if you set up your baffles right. I would suggest putting your skimmer in the first chamber so that the microbubbles will dissipate before getting to the pump section. You should only need one pump for the return. Quiet One is a good pump brand.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back