[Octopus]: Serendipity - O. Hummelincki (filosus)

I have added a species note on Oscar's journal but wanted to duplicate it here to record the confusion.

There is no question in my mind that Oscar and Octane are the same species BUT... I am going to add confusion to the identification of species. I have been a little bothered (and I think Nancy has been also) by the single definition of the eyespot in Norman and what we see in the Oscar/Octane species. This only bothered me a little until we got Serendipity and her eyespot MATCHES the one in Norman (the blue is an iridescent, unbroken circular BAND and not the vibrant blue disk surrounded by orange) and not the Oscar/Octane spot. Serendipity's spot has not shown any color until tonight when I saw the thin band glow as if it were lighted, the rest of the spot, however, has only shown brown and I have not seen the orange surrounding dots.

There is also a slight difference in the eye/mantle connections that can't be ignored. Serendipity shows a thinning behind the eyes that gives her somewhat of an appearance of an adopus when it sits with its eyes erect. Sometimes, however, the eyes and mantle merge like Oscar/Octane's normal look. Time will tell if the differences are from baby to adult or possibly male to female.

The other difference I have noted is that, at this stage, Serendipity shows no blue rings around the suckers and only shows a white underside where Octane's was speckled peach MOST of the time (he could display it as white but this was rare).

You can get a feel for how small 'Dipity is from this video. She is still timid (just not with crabs :twisted:) but comes out every day and watches us eat. Some days she will let me lead her with my finger on the glass but others she runs and hides.

Journal for OhToo coming but I want to get a picture first :biggrin2:

TINY!!!

I am soo going to get you to talk those people into finding me a tiny hummelincki when I get my "new" tank set up. Hopefully just in time for Christmas.

Nice little octopus! What size tank did you use for Octane? What size do you think the minimum size for this species should be?

Nancy

Nancy,

As you know, my experience is wholly limited to Octane and from what I can tell he was huge for what has been journaled on TONMO. He was in a 35 gallon tank 2' tall by 30" wide (until he started to out grow it, we THOUGHT it was a 45 gallon (as that is what we thought we purchased and I went back to my original photos and notes to be sure when we found out otherwise by actually measuring and doing the calculations :oops:). If he had stayed as small as the others, I think the tank and 10 gallon sump would have been OK (Once a week 5 gallon water changes, skimmer and a charcoal filled canister filter in the sump required though). We will see since OhToo is in the same tank. I think that this species needs swimming room more than gallonage but obviously the two are related. Octane's intended new home is 4' long and Serendipity already uses all of it (she does not swim like 'Tane and OhToo though but is very active when she is out). I suspect we are in for a longer tank for OhToo (logically, I should switch them but I am not going to disrupt Serendipity) . OhToo seems comfortable at the moment and my budget is not. My son has a 65 that I could commandeer if necessary and octoproofing would not be overly difficult. I do think that Octane's escape attempts were from the lack of swimming room. I feel I will have a more confident recommendation as these two mature.

Jealous Octo

I had to laugh when I was shooting this secquence of a throny star walking on the sand and then again when I reviewed the video :biggrin2: I think Dipy is going to be a ham.

Just DARN!

Dipity was overactive on Saturday. She came out early and danced all over the tank for hours (but did not eat). When she continued this activity into the evening I worried a little that is suggested senesence and did double check my water just in case something was up with the weekly water change. Sunday, no Dipity at supper time. Monday no Dipity but a new shell has been added to her night time den doorway. I tried putting a shrimp on a stick in another opening to the den and it was blown out ... Most of you can see where my conclusion is going. Just DARN!

If you look at the above film, you will see a "thin" spot in her mantle that I have been wondering about, now I think it is eggs.

I have mentioned to Paul Sachs that I will need tiny plankton in a month to try the known unsuccessful approach to raising a couple of small egged species and I have had a few thoughts on some things to try (now to write down the parameters I want to try in my novel but limited tank configuations) just to pass the 5 day barrier but Just DARN!

I expect to be out of work very shortly and with the job market am not likely to find something quickly so I expect to have the time to attempt this but JUST DARN!

The only thing is, OhToo has a similar spot (smaller but often visible) and I am sure he is male so I am taking back my consideration. The spot is not like the hearts on the mercs (but is the same color). It is larger, further back, on one side only (left on both) and appears more like a thin place in the mantle - it shows up clearly but briefly in the above video just as she is exiting.

A sonogram would be really interesting. I am surprised the college labs don't have them as I would assume they are much less expensive now (compared to when I was pregnant and they were only used if there was thought to be a problem because of the expense).

How are your little guys doing? Wiley is still hanging in there. He doesn't come out much and must be really really bored but is still eating and can hold his shell tightly. He will be 11 months on the 17th.

dwhatley;126356 said:
How are your little guys doing? Wiley is still hanging in there. He doesn't come out much and must be really really bored but is still eating and can hold his shell tightly. He will be 11 months on the 17th.

The mercs turned 7 months last week, but I'm really starting to believe that we only have 2 now. It has been over a month since I have seen the other 2. Jen is still holding out hope, but I just don't know.

On the bright side, the BIG little guy is doing awesome! :baby: 3 weeks and counting!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back