• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Sepiolids?

Has anyone kept a sepiolid? If so, how did it do? In particular, has anyone kept a Hawaiian Bobtail Squid? (Euprymna scolopes)

I once saw one at an LFS last December. Are they harder to keep than your average S. bandensis?

These are seldom kept by hobbyists. Some years ago we had a Tonmo member in Australia keeping some, and bobtails are sometimes kept in labs. It's been years since I've seen one for sale in an LFS.

There is a section in our book (link on the Tonmo home page for purchase) on these little squids and how to keep them. They are not so difficult to keep, but most people find them boring and would recommend another pet.

Nancy

We had a member in Hawaii keep some last year that she caught. The tank conditions were not optimal but she changed the water very often and they live a few months. If I am not mistaken, they are very short lived (less than a year) even in the wild. Look for threads started by littlemarley. I have referenced one but some hunting will give more of her experience.

Thanks for the information. Their biggest flaw to me seems to be their short lifespan. The one I saw was probably ready to die soon. Thanks for the reference, Nancy. I will check it out.

Interesting link, dwhatley :biggrin2:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back