• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Sepia Pharaonis Eggs

A guy that I work with said that he could get me some Sepia Pharaonis eggs. Is there anything other than live mysis shrimp that I could feed them until I can get them onto larger food such as ghost shrimp? I'd love to get some, but I don't think I can afford a month or two worth of live mysis shrimp.

One egg... or several? Mysis are only really expensive when you have a bunch of cuttles... for one I would say that you may order 1 batch of 100... If you are lucky and have no die off then that should be sufficient... Conversly they bred pretty well in my tank so if the cuttle will be in the main tank and no net breeder you could just inoculate your tank now with say 20 and maybe not even have to order any?

I often say that hatchling cuttles eat a lot, and I usually get ignored. Larger species like S. pharaonis eat A LOT.

I know lol. I helped raise several from eggs at my work. That's why I said I cannot afford that many mysis shrimp. If I cannot find an alternate food source then I wont get them.

I would reconsider the buy alot just incase they dont survive.... That same logic has me with 9 Sepia Bandensis in a 46 gallon Bowfront. :goofysca:

Also, I don't know how much you get your ghost shrimp for... But even at 20 cent a piece My cuttles are running through a good $20 bucks a week.

Good luck though... I wish I had another tank so I could get you to send me a Pharo egg. :smile:

Ya, you'd need more than a 46 bowfront. Mine are going into a 250 gallon reef tank. Also I get ghost shrimp at 10¢ each and I plan on getting them onto frozen asap. It wasn't that hard at all when I did it at work. It just takes time and patience.

Mysid are the best option and should be the only option really. I have cultured ghost shrimp before and the hatchlings are fairly small so that might be an option. But, mysid have proven to be the most effective food for hatchling cuttlefish. And Rich is right about the hatchlings eating a lot. Should be fed several times per day (4-6) while they are in that hatchling stage. I think a lot of the mortality at that age is due to cannibalism and starvation. You can't go wrong feeding to satiation when they are that young.

Greg

IME small scale mysid cultures don't yield enough to be worthwhile. If you have 5 S.p and they are eating, conservatively, 5 mysis a day thats 25 mysis a day, and I don't think a small culture will keep up with that demand. And, they will eat more than 5 a day very quickly.
That said there are plenty of threads here that talk about mysid culture.

I want to start a small 10g mysis culture and then start up a 40g and 5g culture once the 10g get too full. If I don't get the cuttles now, then when I get my 440g cylinder tank up and running I'll have a decent amount of mysis to feed what ever I put in it. Where can I find the threads about mysis culture?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back