• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Sepia oficinalis questions

debbie

Blue Ring
Registered
Hi would a 180 gallon tank be ok for 3 oficinalis. They are under 3 inches now. Would 73-74 degrees be ok? Do they need a deep sandbed? I know they need live food when they are young and they eat alot. Any input would appreciated. Thanks

Looking at my tall, pent 140 and mentally turning it on its side, I would estimate a 180 is really too small for even one adult officinalis They will grow to about 1.5 feet in length and will have a better chance of survival in a cylindrical tank (to help not jetting into the sides, a common problem that is often fatal). We don't typically see officinalis in the US though. Hopefully I @perke will be able to be helpful on tank sizing.

Thanks D for the nod, 180 gallon is a bit too small for 3 cuttlefish, mostly it comes down to dimensions of the tank too as if they don't have enough space you will find cuttlebone fractures and infection. As for the other questions 73-74 degrees is too warm for them as you will go through huge amounts of food at this temperature plus they will mature faster. I would normally keep them around 62 which is the median sort of temperature for these guys around my coastline. As for a sandbed, yes you will need one but unless you are planning on syphoning on a daily basis then I would recommend not making it too deep otherwise again you can get bacterial infections going on. They are a lot of work and grow rather large, If you have not kept cuttlefish before then I would not suggest this species as a starting species.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back