• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Sepia officinalis w/ cloudy eyes

I have a few more questions for you Greg,

When you say high nitrate water, what would be considered high? Also, I was thinking about using something stronger then Baytril because one of the cuttles I am dealing with seems to have a very advanced infection. His skirt has pretty much deteriorated and the skin on his dorsal posterior appears to have been rubbed away. I have access to Chloramphenicol, and was wondering what the dosage would be for an injection, provided it wont prove fatal.

Thanks
Mark

The recommended ranges for nitrates are 20 mg/ L and under for cephs. I have seen this cloudy eye appearance in tanks that expereince greater than 50 mg/ L for extended periods of time. I do not have my notes on hand so I will get you the dosage for chloramphenicol asap.

Greg

Sato;96687 said:
I have a few more questions for you Greg,

When you say high nitrate water, what would be considered high? Also, I was thinking about using something stronger then Baytril because one of the cuttles I am dealing with seems to have a very advanced infection. His skirt has pretty much deteriorated and the skin on his dorsal posterior appears to have been rubbed away. I have access to Chloramphenicol, and was wondering what the dosage would be for an injection, provided it wont prove fatal.

Thanks
Mark

Is your cuttle S. officinalis? How old is it? What is the size of the tank? The skin on the posterior is susceptible to wearing away if the animal jets backwards into the walls of the tank. S. officinalis do better in a circular or semi-circular tank.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back