Sepia Officinalis for 100-120 euro?

I probably have to buy the large type of the pet store's bag,for transporting cuttlefish.Cuttlefish is not a tiny fish which is usually sold at pet stores,so I need a large bag to transport it.Another question is if the oxygen in the bag,is adequate to keep the cuttlefish alive or if an air-pump is necessary.Anyway,I can make trials for it where I live,before sending it actually to the USA.

Yes,it is obvious that eggs don't need much oxygen,so they could be transported in a small bag.But how can I protect them from breaking during the transportation?I mention this question because eggs are always fragile.

Well, if the bag is filled up with about 1/2 water, 1/2 air, then I don't think the eggs would break. I know that you can't really collect eggs as easily, but maybe you could go diving or something and find some on rocks? Or you could catch some, and mate them for eggs.

I have never been a diver,but as I swim at shallow water,in summer,I do snorkeling and I have never seen cuttlefish eggs.Thus,they must have been put far from the beach,in deeper areas,or at the beach,but during another period of time(for example,spring).The only viable way of producing cuttlefish eggs for me,is by keeping a pair of cuttlefish together in an aquarium in order to mate.This should be quite easy for me as when I want I go in a place one hour away from Athens(by car) and I always catch one 9cm cuttlefish,at least!

Yes, but did you say you catch them with hooks and line? This could possibly injure their mouth parts. If I were you, and I had several people inquiring about these eggs, I would set up a kiddie pool, or pond or something in your basement. If I had a large enough tank, I would take one, but my largest is a 75 gallon, and is a mixed reef.

In order to bring them in the U.S. you have to have a permit or two. At least one from the U.S. government and possibly another from the state they are being brought into. Sometimes it can take over a month to get them. YOu will need at least one from Greece stating that they where collected legaly and sometimes have to have a official sign off on them saying they carry no pathagens.

IIUC the person picking them up will also have to have an import license. There is a reason that this kind of shipping doesn't happen all the time. :smile:

I have talked by phone with people in our airport and they said I am free to send it,from here,but I must take permission from US government(fish and wildlife...) and I have to show it to them.They didn't tell me something else,thus I think this permission is what is required.Could anyone ask them for me or give me a phone or e-mail of this department of the US government?

Cuttlefish dont travel all that well, you would do MUCH better to send them as eggs, thats how many cuttles are being imported now.

Yes, make sure you have all the paperwork, I think it costs too

I don't think that cuttlefish,which is caught using hooks,is less healthy than a cuttlefish which is caught using an alternative way.Furthermore,I would probably be charged of being a terrorist if I shipped live cuttlefish in the USA,due to the big amount of water in the container(5 liters)!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back