Sepia Bandensis Passing Cloud Video!

Here is a video I put together showing the 'Passing Cloud' color changing in cuttlefish. It is said that this is done to hypnotize their prey, but I see this display often when there is no prey around at all. I think the only time Ive seen this occur during feeding was when I used to feed live crabs.

What do you guys think? :biggrin2:

The patterning is really facinating. I have seen Octane display a minor rippling effect when he was first introduced to the tank but he rarely does that now. If I didn't know better I would swear they were cycling ink through their bodies.

It might be interesting to see if you can initiate the pattern making. One thought is to create waves at the surface so that the water gives this effect to the rocks and see if the overhead effect the cuttles into motion. If you get a reaction, stop the action and see if they also stop.

I was also thinking this behavior may have a bit to do with surface agitation. When my cuttles fully mature it will be interesting to see if they do this pattern often or not. Paradox has a MH and some surface agitation whereas I have NO fluorescent and hardly any surface agitation. It will be fun to see if it makes a difference with different lighting.

Honestly, when I see them doing this..I never get the impression that they are hunting. I know this is anthropomorphizing it, but they usually seem happy or trying to get my attention maybe.

In my previous setup. 50 gallon semi reef. I had MH lighting as well. 2x 175 watt. I cant recall noticing Bandensis displaying this passing cloud pattern. My offinalis sure did though. However, my attempts at raising Bandensis has shown improvements each time. At 4-5 months of age, this batch has grown larger then any I have ever raised including ones that reached a year old!

2 big differences in this attempt vs older ones include Flow and feeding. I have a LOT of flow in this tank. 2x vortech (full blast on reef crest mode) and return pump on Wavy Sea wave maker. Im also feeding large shrimps instead of shore caught crabs like I used to. Perhaps one of these factors if not both have increased thier health. Im starting to feel that flow does influence things, including viability of eggs as well. Ill write more of this soon on my main journal post...

dwhatley;113255 said:
The patterning is really facinating. I have seen Octane display a minor rippling effect when he was first introduced to the tank but he rarely does that now. If you I didn't know better I would swear they were cycling ink through their bodies.
Ive seen a rippling with some of my older octos as well. Too bad I had no way to document it then. I felt they did this to get my attention so I would feed them heh.

Octane (arrived as adult) showed the rippling quite often at first and I think my presence had something to do with it but I don't think food was the subject. This is where a webcam would be helpful to see what they actually do differently when we are not around.

I've sometimes wondered if this behavior is camouflage for shallow-water cephs trying to match the shadows of ripples in the water to be less visible to birds from above the water or predators swimming above them. Of course, having it as a camo pattern doesn't preclude it from being used for communication as well.

monty;113265 said:
I've sometimes wondered if this behavior is camouflage for shallow-water cephs trying to match the shadows of ripples in the water to be less visible to birds from above the water or predators swimming above them. Of course, having it as a camo pattern doesn't preclude it from being used for communication as well.

This is my understand of what most think that particular display is. I don't think it has anything to do with hunting in bandensis.

Nice vid!

Part of my light cycle will have an hour of just a single MH in the evening. this creates a lot of dark areas and has the typical MH rippling effect in full force. Ill try to observe if this is when they do this more often.

I saw this for the first time today in my dominant male of net 1. The patterns were not as advanced as those in the video but it was the coolest thing I have seen any of my cuttles do thus far and the first time I saw a true black.

Very cool videos! i have seen both of mine do this as well. From what i am seeing they seem to do it right after they catch their food and still in the process of putting it down the hatch. So maybe they are doing it to to camoflauge themselves from bigger predators stealing their meal?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back