• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Sepia Bandensis For Sale!!

Cephdoc

Vampyroteuthis
Registered
Hello everybody. Today is a sad day. I am thinking about selling my cuttlefish, im in a pinch with some life situations and choices i have to make real soon and i have to tear my tank down and possibly move to continue going to school. I have 4 adults at the moment they are of breeding age, around 5 months old. Very healthy, eating ghost shrimp, shore shrimp, goldfish, and small fiddlers. PM me or or reply on this thread if interested. The only thing i am concerned about is successfully shipping these little guys to someone who wants them. If anyone has had experience with this type of deal please give me advice?? I'd greatly appreciate it, im afraid they must go ASAP. Ill be getting out of the saltwater tank again unfortunatly probably until i finish college:sad: So i cant sell them to local pet stores because they all work on store credit and i dont need the credit. Thanks please just get with me i will upload some more pics of the little guys on my journal on raising them.
Caleb

Maybe to Maine, and i live in Indiana. I have to worry about cutting cost though as im a college student and a ceph tank isnt always the cheapest :frown: But it is the best experience ive ever had with a saltwater tank.... simply amazing!!

Very sad indeed. I wish you luck. I'd love to take them off your hands but I think someone a little closer would have a better chance of making the transfer successful.

I could have them shipped to my office in Melbourne, FL so they wouldn't be left out in the heat. But as an example, I know of a LFS that had 27 shipped in and only 5 made it alive. Perhaps they didn't pack them right or something went horribly wrong like a delay in shipping but it makes me wary.

However, if you can't find a local home and have no other choice I'd be willing to give you my FedEx account number and we could ship priority over-night. Just need to make sure they are double-bagged separately and with plenty of water and air to give them the best shot possible. I don't think heat-packs are necessary this time of year but certainly check out the previous link with Thales write-up on shipping cephs for other pointers.

How much are you wanting for the cuttles themselves?

I vote that you give them to Reef Geek(factoring shipping costs and maybe a small sum for how awesome they are). Fedex Priority overnight should work. You just need to follow Thales' shipping instructions. Especially I would think the Oxygenation step.

This way we can make Reef Geek do a journal and inform us all how it works out. Also... you know they would be going to a good home!

I am worried about a price on them, id like to get alittle bit of money out of them. Id love them to go to a good home, and i i dont wan to split them so whoever get them need to buy all 4 would be preferable. Give them??.... idk about that i would need something out of them, maybe i misunderstood that? At say 50 dollars a piece i'd just as well let them eat each other for that lol( Not going to let that happen) just saying. I need some money out of them. Does anyone know where i can find Thales shipping intructions? Is the link above his instructions? I havent really took the time to read through them.

Yes, the link above is Thales shipping instructions.

$50 per cuttle is a good price IMO for a local sale. I've seen $75 before but for such a short-lived creature and yours being adults . . . . unfortunately our cuttle friends never seem to be a money-making venture.

Thales shipping instructions are excellent but has anyone ever shipped adult cuttlefish successfully? By successfully I'd say with less than a 50% mortality rate.

I would love for all 4 to make the journey successfully since I've wanted to kick the clown-fish out of my 110g reef and make it a cuttlefish tank. Besides, the clown-fish will far outlive the cuttles and can always move back in later. hehe (Needless to say I have a few tanks up and running to move occupants around as needed.)

I was saying: shipping + a small fee per cuttle. If Reef Geek will give you anywhere near 50 a piece I would jump on it... Unfortunately I doubt you will get any better deal except at maybe a Sushimi establishment.

To Reef Geek: From what I've heard, the 50% survival rate is for priority mail and I doubt they did the oxygenation step. As long as Reef Geek takes them to a LFS and gets the water oxygenated then directly ships them out overnight with morning delivery I would bet that all of them will survive. I think we need a comment from Thales here.

A Sushimi place will pay $50 each for dwarf cuttles?!? Hmmmm . . . . . . lol! It's funny because one of the members of our local reef club is the head sushi chef at a local restaurant chain and he keeps offering to make sushi out of Mr. Cuttles!

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back