• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Senescence - possiblity of delaying environmentally

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
While looling for quotable material to describe senescence, I came across an interesting book paragraph that was worth hijacking. The book and pargraph can be located here

The primary statement of interest is as follows:

High light intensity, long days and cool temperatures can also extend lifespan by delaying maturation (Van Heukelem, 1979)

That is some interesting reading. I can't remove optic glands, but those other things are doable. I don't feel bad that the tank is so close to the window, now. I've been wondering about temps, especially after you posed the ponder about higher temps bringing spawning on earlier. Of course, you know that I follow Dr. Roy's advice about not over feeding to increase life span- adjusting temps and photo periods is easy!

The effects of light and day length will be species specific. Temperature is probably a more general effect. The group of bimacs that I kept for over 2 and half years were reared at 15 C with low intensity lighting (12:12 photoperiod.

Roy

Roy,
You mentioned that you fed the bimacs every two (or three, I could not find the reference) days but the quantity of food seemed higher than what we feed daily (with one fast day a week) so that the total amount of food is about the same (given that these are different species, the quantity may not be relevant to the discussion though). One of the things we have noted is that our octos ALWAYS eliminate just before eating. In your opinion could it be that the get more nutrition from the food by keeping it in the digestive track longer with the skipped feeding days?

Also, is the 59 degree (15 c) temperature at the low end or winter average of their natural range so that for a Caribbean species we should be thinking about 72-75 (22 -24 C)?

Would you expect lengthening the night cycle for a crepsecular or nocturnal be worth considering since you equally split the daylight for a diurnal?

In January we will see the water temps down to the lower 70's. Where i caught Legs is a shallow area that tends to have slightly warmer water.

I do a light cycle of 11hrs on and 13hrs off. 7am - 6pm.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back