• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Selling My Home Bred Octo's And Cuttles???

But I think MDL is from California... anyway I think if he/she gets this permit then they may be good to go...

Marine Aquaria Receiver's Permit $1,742.25 Any person engaged in the business of receiving live marine species native to California waters for the purpose of wholesaling or retailing these species for pet industry or hobby purposes must obtain a Marine Aquaria Receiver's License.

You probably need a collector's permit too, it you are collecting them from CA waters...

http://www.dfg.ca.gov/licensing/commfishbus/cfb_fees.html

There is a Receiver's permit and a collector's permit but both species of bimacs are explicitly excluded from collection under the collector's permit, so bimacs may only be collected under a fishing license, and kept, or given away for free. If "a species" is received (even for free) for "marine aquaria pet trade" purposes, then it looks like a Marine Aquaria Receiver's license would be required. Again, I suspect that this law only applies if the receiver is in California. The law says that if the receiver is in California, the permit is required to receive species native to California, even if caught in a neighboring state. Could California possibly require a receiver in Oregon to buy this California permit, to receive a fish caught in Oregon? I don't think so.

An examination of the law has suggested to me that it is not legal to collect a bimac "for marine aquaria pet trade purposes" as per DFG code Section 8597. So with only a fishing license I may catch a bimac and keep it, or give it away for food purposes, or for someone's personal pet, but I can't legally give it to someone who will sell it, or (presumably) sell the offspring. Nuts!

now, what if you breed the captive-bred offspring of a wild caught animal? would you in that case still not be able to sell them? These laws are often very silly. they pass something and then figure out what they are enforcing.

Markushka;164197 said:
now, what if you breed the captive-bred offspring of a wild caught animal? would you in that case still not be able to sell them? These laws are often very silly. they pass something and then figure out what they are enforcing.

Where would you get the animal to breed with the captive bred octos? Unless you are going to inbreed which I would say is a bad idea for many reasons the only other option would be to collect a new octo in order to breed the captives. I think talking with some of the scientist who study and work with bimacs on a regular basis would be the best way to go.

I think the best way to go would be for a group of us to get together and collect our money to "invest" in the process of doing it legally. I know I would be willing too. Anyone going to Mexico/Gulf of California any time soon lol?

Where are you in CA? Maybe I could buy a tank from you, and the octo is a freebie - that skirts the letter of the law, per my DFG friend.

Jabba954;164205 said:
Where are you in CA? Maybe I could buy a tank from you, and the octo is a freebie - that skirts the letter of the law, per my DFG friend.
I live in California, and I'm just not willing to receive any money, or anything else of value, from anyone I give a Bimac to; for two reasons:
1) I really don't like the idea of anybody, even me, catching and selling (or trading) wild animals, unless it's part of a managed and monitored fishery. That can get out of control fast, and I agree with the law that says I can't profit from my sport fishing.
2) I don't think it's wise to try to dodge past a fish and game law. Even if I won in court, the DFG would be motivated to "plug the loop hole" and push for even more restrictive laws. It's a lose-lose situation, so I play by the rules.

I think I got it figured out
give me a baby for free I'll pay for the shipping and handling the later can be reimbursment for your time and effort

manny;165997 said:
I think I got it figured out
give me a baby for free I'll pay for the shipping and handling the later can be reimbursment for your time and effort

Manny,
somehow I have failed to get my message across, so I'm going to say it again, I'll type slowly, and I'll try to be as clear as possible:
Don't try to find a way to give me anything of value, or even to do me a favor. It would be illegal, so I won't give a bimac to anyone who intends to give me anything in return, through any means.​

I'm not trying to get away with anything, I honestly don't want anything in return for giving away a bimac. All I ask is that IF I find one, that you pay the shipping company yourself directly (instead of sending me money so that I can pay them)

I've learned that it's also illegal for me to give away a bimac to anyone who intends to use it to breed more bimacs, so sorry about that.

So really, if I end up finding a bimac, and sending it to you, no matter how happy it makes you, no matter how grateful you are, you must resist the urge to give me anything of value.

I am also very interested in a cuttle if they are sepia bandensis. I might even like to get a few if I could get a male and a female. I am in Michigan.

Joe-Ceph;166109 said:
I've learned that it's also illegal for me to give away a bimac to anyone who intends to use it to breed more bimacs, so sorry about that.

allendavant;166230 said:
I am also very interested in a cuttle if they are sepia bandensis. I might even like to get a few if I could get a male and a female. I am in Michigan.

why would you want a male and female?

badreverend;166268 said:
why would you want a male and female?

Sometimes when a boy cuttle and girl cuttle feel in love, they show that love by throwing sperm packets at each other and making little baby cuttles.

But seriously, I am cycling my tank and would want one a few months down the road. If I can, I am going to want to get eggs from a local store but would you mind a PM in a while about some eggs or young?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back