seismic squid

I'm not a biologist by any stretch of the imagination, but I've worked with sound pressure levels (SPLs) in an engineering capacity, and 223 dB is awfully loud. :shock:

Here's a table I found listing comparative sound levels that includes a blue whale from this NOAA website.:

NOAA said:
Amplitude of Example Sounds In Air (dB re 20µPa @ 1m)
and In Water (dB re 1µPa @ 1m)

threshold of hearing 0 dB --
whisper at 1 meter 20 dB --
normal conversation 60 dB --
painful to human ear 130 dB --
jet engine 140 dB --
blue whale -- 165 dB (in water)
earthquake -- 210 dB (in water)
supertanker 164 dB (in air) 190 dB (in water)

*note - sounds are in air unless otherwise noted

Every additional 3 dB represents a doubling of power of acoustic energy.
223 - 165 = 58 dB which represents 19.3 doublings of acoustic power. :shock:

The sperm whale is a big animal which can probably make some very loud sounds if it wants to, but to reach 223 dB, it would have to be 58 dB louder than a blue whale.

Here's another table from the Ocean Future Society

Cousteau said:
Noise Source Noise Source Levels

Lightening Strike on Water Surface 260 dB (max)
Seafloor Volcanic Eruption 255+ dB (max)
Fin Whale 160-186 dB
Humpback Whale 175-190 dB
Bowhead Whale 158-189 dB
Blue Whale 188 dB (max)
Southern Right Whale 172-187 dB
Gray Whale 185 dB (max)
Source: SURTASS LFA Environmental Impact Statement

This gives a higher SPL for the blue whale, but the highest level for all the whales listed is 190 dB, which is still 33 dB (11 power doublings) below the 223 dB level in question.

--Carl - saying 223 dB is awfully loud :?
div34.gif

ya i had trouble believing what i heard, but i trusted him, anyone here watched whale vs squid? HOw loud did they say the whale was?

P.s. ive read the fin and blue whales both reach a max. of 190Db, therefore the loudest of animals...

tv show on discovery channel..in usits moving to animal planet...it shows ppl building mechanical versions of an animal... gather all possible data..then put there stats into a computer and then they are face off in a virtual arena to the finish!

My :twocents: :

That many decibels focused in one "beam" if you will could cause massive internal damage. Given that the Mysticetes have a concavity in the front of their skulls similar to a parabolic dish, doesn't that mean the sonic blast can become a beam of focused sonic energy? Wouldn't that mean they have a lot more control over their sonar than we have over ours?

Sushi and Sake,

John

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back