Sedona - O.mycropyrus

Holly cow I went looking for O broki again and found a person who seemed to list every octopus ever named....

Krake: Octopus abaculus, Octopus aculeatus, Octopus alatus, Octopus alecto, Octopus alpheus, Octopus araneoides, Octopus arborescens, Octopus areolatus, Octopus aspilosomatis, Octopus australis, Octopus balboai, Octopus berrima, Octopus bimaculatus, Octopus bimaculoides, Octopus bocki, Octopus briareus, Octopus brocki, Octopus bunurong, Octopus burryi, Octopus californicus, Octopus campbelli, Octopus capricornicus, Octopus carolinensis, Octopus chierchiae, Octopus conispadiceus, Octopus cyanea, Octopus defilippi, Octopus dierythraeus, Octopus digueti, Octopus dofleini apollyon, Octopus dofleini martini, Octopus exannulatus, Octopus fangsiao etchuanus, Octopus fangsiao typicus, Octopus favonius, Octopus filamentosus, Octopus filosus, Octopus fitchi, Octopus fujitai, Octopus gardineri, Octopus gibbsi, Octopus globosus, Octopus graptus, Octopus guangdongensis, Octopus hardwickei, Octopus hattai, Octopus horridus, Octopus hubbsorum, Octopus joubini, Octopus kagoshimensis, Octopus kaharoa, Octopus kaurna, Octopus lechenaultii, Octopus lobensis, Octopus longispadiceus, Octopus luteus, Octopus macropus, Octopus maorum, Octopus marginatus, Octopus maya, Octopus membranaceus, Octopus mercatoris, Octopus mernoo, Octopus microphthalmus, Octopus micropyrsus, Octopus mimus, Octopus minor minor, Octopus minor pardalis, Octopus minor typicus, Octopus mototi, Octopus mutilans, Octopus nanhaiensis, Octopus nanus, Octopus neglectus, Octopus niveus, Octopus nocturnus, Octopus occidentalis, Octopus ochotensis, Octopus oculifer, Octopus oliveri, Octopus ornatus, Octopus oshimai, Octopus ovulum, Octopus pallidus, Octopus parvus, Octopus penicillifer, Octopus pentherinus, Octopus polyzenia, Octopus prashadi, Octopus pumilus, Octopus pyrum, Octopus rapanui, Octopus rex, Octopus robsoni, Octopus roosevelti, Octopus rubescens, Octopus salutii, Octopus sanctaehelenae, Octopus sasakii, Octopus selene, Octopus siamensis, Octopus spinosus, Octopus striolatus, Octopus superciliosus, Octopus taprobanensis, Octopus tehuelchus, Octopus tenebricus, Octopus tetricus, Octopus tsugarensis, Octopus validus, Octopus varunae, Octopus veligero, Octopus verrucosus, Octopus vitiensis, Octopus vulgaris, Octopus warringa, Octopus winckworthi, Octopus wolfi, Octopus yendoi, Octopus zonatus, Robsonella huttoni

O. bocki, according to my trusty octopus book, is found in the Phiippies and Fiji so it would not be local to your CA shipper (but his stock may be imported). Because O.bocki would be a warm water species, I would lean more toward O.digueti.

If I was wise, I would have this stuff committed to memory, I do well just to remember where to find references. :wink: (and I laugh remembering how I used to hate doing research for papers when I HAD to use ... a card catalog :biggrin2:)

I got a better look at Sedona tonight... I am pretty sure Sedona is a boy. One of the arms is more tightly curled on her right side... I was able to see him try to hunt and now that I have seen just how small he really is, I think I need smaller food. His mantel couldnt be more than a 1/2 inch or 3/4 inches. Most of the crabs Paul sent me this time were a little bit bigger than average so... I think I will be picking up some shrimp tomorrow, that and some hermits so that I can pull them out of there shell.

sk252006;168664 said:
I got a better look at Sedona tonight... His mantel couldnt be more than a 1/2 inch or 3/4 inches.

To be that size, after this long, and to not have grown, makes me wonder if I might have been right to guess O. Mycropyrus. This is the only picture I could find of one, and while I don't remember you saying your looked purple, everything else looks familiar: big eyes, no webbing, etc.

octopus_micropyrsus.jpeg

:biggrin2: The same thoughts crossed my mind. Women tend, as a group, to over estimate size so I usually reduce by 1/3 but it would be hard to call her numbers over estimating and that is pretty small for a digueti. They are supposed to hang out in the kelp so putting in some kind of algae near the front may draw him out more.

That is the picture in Cephalopods A World Guide

Yes he has very dark coloring... one could say purpleish, the problem has been I have only seen him in a somewhat dark setting. That picture looks just like him. I cant wait to be able to buy a camera.

LOL Finally... I truely feel I have a handle on what he actually is! This is very exciting. I will be getting some kelp here in a few days so I hope he will come out more and be seen more.

On a side note I scared the little guy to death last night. When I noticed the crabs were so big compared to him I went in to try and get the larger crabs out... yeah that was a mistake, the poor little guy inks like 5 times. It did work out fine and the water never clouded thank God. If Isis had been the one who did it I would have been up doing water changes for a while. 5 times is a lot. I will check on him tonight after lights out and make sure he is ok but I am pretty sure he is fine, just scared.

The crabs looked to be a little smaller than his mantel. I watched one come close to him and it was a scary sight... thus the reason I tried to remove them.

I normally get really small crabs from Paul. They are normally 1/4 inch in size not including legs and these that I have been putting in comparatively are much to larger.

I hope my pods get here soon. Those seem to be just the right size food for him. I will be going to get some shrimp once the fish stores open.

Every time I see him I am shocked at how small he is. What D said about women over estimating size would make sense. I keep remembering him being bigger... but because I have him in a corner bowfront I can tell you that when he is on the sides of the tank (not right in front of me) he looks much bigger. Last night however I saw him right in front with no distortion of the glass and he is just so tiny...

D,

Is there any more info in the Cephalopods A World Guide on these little guys? Other than the kelp that is? I went to do a google search and the only thing that comes up on them is Sedona thread lol.

Also could you change the species from bimac to O. mycropyrus for me please. I am pretty sure we are all on the same page and agree that is most likely what he is given his size coloring and webbing.

from a world guide:

Octopus micropyrsus: body to 3 cm, arms to 9 cm.
Distribution: Santa Barbara, Cali. to Baja California, Mexico
General: The small octopus lives within the bases(hold-fasts) of kelp, in gastropod shells or crevices on rocky reefs. It is recognized by its dark red-brown color, white false eye spots(ocelli), and the fingers of skin that can be raised over its body. Females lay large eggs.(up to 10mm)

CaptFish;168696 said:
from a world guide:

Octopus micropyrsus: body to 3 cm, arms to 9 cm.
Distribution: Santa Barbara, Cali. to Baja California, Mexico
General: The small octopus lives within the bases(hold-fasts) of kelp, in gastropod shells or crevices on rocky reefs. It is recognized by its dark red-brown color, white false eye spots(ocelli), and the fingers of skin that can be raised over its body. Females lay large eggs.(up to 10mm)

Thank you Capt. I appreciate you posting the info. I havent seen any eye spots but like I said before I have only seen him in the dark. Would red lights make it more visable? I am gonna try and remember to look for them tonight. From the picture they are so small.

Can you explain to me what the fingers of skin that can be raised over its body means??? Cause I got nothing.

It says they live in the kelp hold-fasts, that is the "root" of the kelp, which has a very different structure then the leaf area of the kelp. The hold fast is mostly rigid, like stiff rubber or plastic, and doesn't move or sway like the stalks and leaves. The strands that make up the hold fast are mostly vertical , with 1/8 to 3/8" of space between the strands, like a tightly packed forest of tree trunks, full of trees the size of pencils, plus or minus 50% in diameter but not nearly as straight as pencils. I'm not sure what I would use to simulate it. Maybe you could get a bundle bamboo skewers, and stick them into a stiff sponge at varying mostly vertical angles so that they make a tangled maze of sort of crossed, sticks that he could hide in. If you can find a picture of a kelp hold-fast on the internet, you'll get an idea of what I'm talking about

Joe-Ceph;168722 said:
It says they live in the kelp hold-fasts, that is the "root" of the kelp, which has a very different structure then the leaf area of the kelp. The hold fast is mostly rigid, like stiff rubber or plastic, and doesn't move or sway like the stalks and leaves. The strands that make up the hold fast are mostly vertical , with 1/8 to 3/8" of space between the strands, like a tightly packed forest of tree trunks, full of trees the size of pencils, plus or minus 50% in diameter but not nearly as straight as pencils. I'm not sure what I would use to simulate it. Maybe you could get a bundle bamboo skewers, and stick them into a stiff sponge at varying mostly vertical angles so that they make a tangled maze of sort of crossed, sticks that he could hide in. If you can find a picture of a kelp hold-fast on the internet, you'll get an idea of what I'm talking about

I think I would have to do some weaving to get that job done.... I think maybe basket weaving stuff might work but I dont know if thats treated with any chems that would leak out. I have some kelp attached to rock coming so hopfully it will have something good to it. Does dried bamboo absorb water and then become bendable I wonder??

I hope to be able to confirm tonight with the white eye spots. While everything else fits until I see them I will have just a tiny bit of doubt lol.

I do believe I saw the white eyespots the other night so thats good news. I am not sure when I will be able to get the lights changed for better viewing, but so far keeping the lights off and the house quiet for about a hour or two at night and then switching on the blue moon light is the only time I am able to view him.

I had asked this in another thread but thought I would ask here too... Would the red lights from Christmas tree lighting work for now or is it to bright/not the right spectrum?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back