Seattle's Giant Pacific Octopus Hunting Scandal: One Year Later - MyNorthwest.com

Discussion in 'Cephalopod News' started by octobot, Jan 7, 2014.

1. octobot

octobot Robotic Staff Staff Member Robotic Staff

2. Tom Hlavac

Tom Hlavac O. vulgaris Registered

This article seems pretty balanced, and I appreciate the writer too the time to research some factoids. Dylan (the diver at the heart of the scandal) may have different knowledge of octopus gained by hunting them. There could even be some scientific value in this knowledge - who knows? it's too bad he was harvesting at a recreational dive site regardless.

3. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

Unfortunately, I can't find the reference but there was a recent Facebook post with a proud female snorkeler draped in a very large (15 pounds) cyanea. The hawaiian locals (vs Seattle locals) had an entirely different take on the catch and protection of the animals was not part of the local reaction. The point being that perception is very localized, emotionally charged and changes over time (going back to the popularity of octopus wrestling in the now protected area), particularly when individual taking is not a feeding the family requirement (and often is more emotional than the mass destruction of our current commercial but in the immediate successful feeding of the masses methods).

In truth, I am not sure where all this leads except that our web world exposes more things to more people and the exposure may help us learn to handle our world a little better than without it. The glass half empty thought though is that the hive mind pulls to extremes for the little things and continues to ignore the global picture - people have to eat and the population continues to grow.