• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Sealing an octopus tank?

abdopus147

Blue Ring
Registered
Hello, I am currently keeping a small bimac in a 55 gallon, hexagon shaped tank. The cover fits around the tubes but it isn't perfect and there is some space to escape. What is the best way to seal a tank and with what material? Thanks.

Scratch feeling material like course sponge seems to work and I have used sponge in several places with success. It is easily removed for cleaning (but a bit of a pain to clean) and quite flexible to fill gaps.

We actually use astroturf (artificial grass) around the top of a tank we can't seal for the occasional times we keep an octopus in it. But our main octy tank has sliding perspex (acrylic) doors, duct tape and cable ties!!!!

I'd watch that closely, being metal it is going to corrode pretty fast. You don't want it contaminating your tank with anything.

also how big are the holes? Octos can fit through amazingly small holes, about the size of their eye.

I was wondering if they made plastic screen frames in stead of aluminum. I have a non-tank application where I have made a screen to replace a broken glass door on a DIY cage (no critter at the moment but housed our iguana for over 10 years) and the framing I used bends way too easily to be used as a door.

I don't know if they have plastic screen frames ( I will look for it but I am pretty sure that they have a vinyl version) but mine hasn't corroded as of yet ( I am monitoring it very closely). A prevention could be to clear coat it and that will prevent corrosion or at least delay it. as for the mesh, you can order it with very small holes, small enough that an octopus would not be able to escape through it. Also, the mesh screen is a better alternative to glass because of the gas exchange and we all know our little friends need a lot of it.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back