• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Seahorse with octo

Canadianguy said:
Omg please no!

I'm sorry but seahorses and octos will NOT do as tankmates!

It does depend on the individual situation. Our Horses are in a community tank (which has had midget octis) and come to no harm. I must emphasize tho' that our tank was set up for the horses and we are very careful about what we put in with them!

J

I'm guessing it was a pipefish since its coronet-less? I just realised that i did keep a seahorse with Wasabe for about two days after going through the videos. They never bothered each other during that time and Wasabe was massive then.

Hmmm, that's cool! Most likely, it is a personality issue with the octo...they are smart enough to have tastes....seahorses probably don't taste good anyway...

joel_ang said:
Wouldn't the angle after the eye be steeper in the abdominalis and the head abit thicker? Does abdominalis have cirri on their eyes?

Could be but the abdominalis we have here are very very very variable. There is some talk that we have more than one species and some researchers over in the zoo department are hoping to look at the genetics. There is variable appearance & the young can be born at very variable sizes etc etc.

I'm not saying the prey are not pipefish Joel, in fact my first instinct was to call them pipefish but my fish id guru said they could be either! And there is no point in having a guru if you don't listen to them!!!!!

Cheers

Jean

Jean said:
I'm not saying the prey are not pipefish Joel, in fact my first instinct was to call them pipefish but my fish id guru said they could be either! And there is no point in having a guru if you don't listen to them!!!!!

I'd have to agree, Btw, what species of squid were they kept with? Sounds suprising to have something that looks like a fish (pipefish)survive in a squid tank.

joel_ang said:
Jean said:

I'd have to agree, Btw, what species of squid were they kept with? Sounds suprising to have something that looks like a fish (pipefish)survive in a squid tank.

Nototodarus sloanii.......and I didn't keep them (sigh.........) They were part of a research sample. So the squid are eating them in the wild!

J

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back