Scientific Personality Assessment

Discussion in 'The Octopus' Den' started by natekarle, Sep 9, 2005.

1. natekarle

natekarle Larval Mass Registered

Has anyone taken this?

---------excerpt-------

The Human Side of Science: What is the Archetypal Researcher Personality?

Are there some personalities that are better suited than others to a scientific career? To provide insight into this issue, The Science Advisory Board created the first-ever psychological profile of life science researchers, the Scientific Personality Assessment (http://scienceboard.net/151.new.html).

The assessment is meant to help scientists better evaluate their strengths and assets as well as confront the particular challenges they face in their everyday work life. The goal is not to suggest that one personality type is better than another or that having specific character traits will engender more professional success, but rather to encourage people to align their professional aspirations with their own particular blend of expertise and skills. A summary of results based on recent participants has been posted at: www.scienceboard.net

2. cthulhu77

cthulhu77 Titanites Supporter

Interesting...turned out being an "explorer". Hmmm. Insightful !
    greg

3. Fujisawas Sake

Fujisawas Sake Larger Pacific Striped Octopus Supporter Registered

Yeah, me too... Go fig.

Well, off to my first paleontology dig tomorrow... Phil would be proud!

:arr:

4. DocFrye

DocFrye O. vulgaris Registered

I ended up being a "Leader." Go figure... I own and operate my own veterinary hospital.

I like this quote, "Concerned with achieving their personal goals and dreams, leaders value fellow lab members and suppliers according to their ability to help them in these endeavors. They work best with "big picture" projects that need to be pushed through with aggressiveness or personal resolve. In a dysfunctional research team, they may be resented or even feared because of this aggressiveness and their perceived lack of concern for others' feelings. A healthy research team, however, will respect a leader and give him or her with authority and responsibility to fulfill their mission. Leaders mandate perfection and are usually easy to get along with—provided that others measure up to the Leader’s high expectations. "

Sounds about right, eh, Scully?

5. Architeuthoceras

Architeuthoceras Architeuthis Staff Member Moderator

Organizer? Me? :wink:

6. Steve O'Shea

Steve O'Shea Colossal Squid Supporter

I'm an explorer, apparently, though I disagree with a few things that they conclude:

I DO LISTEN TO EVERYBODY
    I AM NOT OPINIONATED
    (and if anyone disagrees with me I'll pop them on the nose)

And BAN bottom trawling or we'll all be doomed!!!

7. Phil

Phil Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

Organizer, apparantly.

I organised something once, I think it was a group meet at the local real-ale beer festival in the town hall. I've got a diary too so it must be true.

Hmmm....

8. Melissa

Melissa Larger Pacific Striped Octopus Supporter

I got the same thing, and had a similar reaction. I AM opinionated, but I don't want to tell everyone what I think. I'm a better audience than speaker.

Maybe "explorer" just means "disorganized."

Melissa

9. Infusoria

Infusoria Vampyroteuthis Registered

I turn out to be an Enthusiast, which apparently means I'm a spineless follower with no ideas of my own. Well, bollocks to that.

10. main_board

main_board Vampyroteuthis Supporter

Organizer here too! Suppose its pretty true, though the questions that I answered weren't always 100% me. It hard to be super accurate with these sort of personality quizes as everyone is so different. Goes without saying, though, I guess.

Cheers!

11. Steve O'Shea

Steve O'Shea Colossal Squid Supporter

Heaven's, when I picked THE EXACT OPPOSITE (or closest thing to it; I remained male), I became an enthusiast (I've probably screwed up their data set).

:roll:

12. Clem

Clem Architeuthis Supporter Registered

Organizer? Me? Impossible. Any person who's ever seen my workspaces over the years knows just how disorganized they look.

Then again, I usually know exactly where everything is, and I can pack a car's trunk like nobody's business.

Hmmm.

Clem

13. sorseress

sorseress Colossal Squid Supporter

I'm an explorer???? Who, me??? Opinionated??? Moi??? Center of Attention??? I don't think so! IS ANYBODY LISTENING????

14. Cephkid

Cephkid Sepia elegans Supporter

WHAAAAAAAAT?!?!?!?!?!?!?! ORGANIZER?! IMPOSSIBLE! (We are talking about the same kid you loses papers on a regular basis, only to find them two days later!) A.k.a., "What, me? Organize? Naw...":twisted:
    Although, paragraphs 2 and 3 may have a point. ('Course I thought I was simply the worlds leading and foremost procrastinator. :oops:)

15. CapnNemo

CapnNemo Vampyroteuthis Supporter

Yep Explorer! Damn, it's the whole disorganised thing isn't it? "Crikey look at the state of his desk/lab, he must be an explorer". I admit that I only tidy up when I can't find something, which... happens.. quite a lot. And I have been accused of ahem 'project slip' in the past.

Drat! Hey there are only four types anyway, http://scienceboard.net/pdf/personality_screen.pdf_1.pdf

I think it's all a bit broad really.

Anyway, I'm not a scientist.

So I don't care, ner!

16. Jean

Jean Colossal Squid Supporter

Organiser, perfectionist..........moi?? Took me half an hour to find my car keys this morning!

J

17. fluffysquid

fluffysquid Vampyroteuthis Registered

It says i'm an Explorer, but I only agree with some of that.... like I dont dominate conversations and i'm not extreeeemely opinionated.... just a little. and i DO give other contributors credit too. A little un-focused at times? Yeah sure... sometimes. Fun test, though.

18. TPOTH

TPOTH Vampyroteuthis Registered

Take me to your leader... no wait! that's me.... :shock:
    Leader hey? Perhaps only when I'm in a good mood :razz:

TPOTH

19. Tintenfisch

Tintenfisch Architeuthis Staff Member Moderator

That's me... the gas-guzzling Ford Explorer. Quick! To the next frontier!

20. fluffysquid

fluffysquid Vampyroteuthis Registered

Uh oh, mine's a ford explorer...

Well, uh, I'll have you know....that uhm... it's a lot better than a flat-bed truck when it's raining. and stuff. aquarium transporter! *run away*