[Hoax or Unconfirmed] Science news: Octopuses came to Earth from space as frozen eggs millions of years ago - Express.co.uk

octobot

Robotic Staff
Staff member
Robotic Staff

octobot

Robotic Staff
Staff member
Robotic Staff

octobot

Robotic Staff
Staff member
Robotic Staff

octobot

Robotic Staff
Staff member
Robotic Staff
Last edited by a moderator:

octobot

Robotic Staff
Staff member
Robotic Staff

octobot

Robotic Staff
Staff member
Robotic Staff

octobot

Robotic Staff
Staff member
Robotic Staff

Octopuses are not aliens, but boy are they a bunch of beautiful weirdos
Popular Science
They use an octopus as an example, noting that “The transformative genes leading from the consensus ancestral Nautilus to the common Cuttlefish to Squid to the common Octopus are not easily to be found in any pre-existing life form” and that therefore ...
Are octopuses aliens from outer space that were brought to Earth by meteors?The Independent
Nope, octopuses probably didn't come from outer spaceZME Science

all 5 news articles »

Continue reading...

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Since my teenage years, I have kept open the idea that life on earth (not specific species) was kick started this way each time we have had a massive explosion of diversity. Alternately, I have wondered about the ozone layer and sun flares at those times and if radiation is responsible for the massive changes.

Last edited:

tonmo

Titanites
Staff member
Webmaster
:smile: likewise! Definitely plausible... but singling out cephs / citing as scientific study is sensational. I'll flip to "YES!" when any scientific proof is somehow finally offered. :rolleyes2:

octobot

Robotic Staff
Staff member
Robotic Staff

Scientists believe the octopus could be an alien that arrived on earth from outer space
Herald Sun
It was especially dramatic* for a type of mollusc* called a cephalopod. Tentacles reached out from their shells and wove their way into an enormous variety of creatures, which eventually became the octopus, cuttlefish and squid we know today.
The Darkness Maybe Predicted that News Story About Octopi Being AliensNoisey
Last week in science and tech: Giant sun-eating black holes, alien octopus, and moreQrius
Are octopuses aliens? These experts say they came from outer spaceTimes of India

all 3 news articles »

Continue reading...

octobot

Robotic Staff
Staff member
Robotic Staff

octobot

Robotic Staff
Staff member
Robotic Staff

Is the octopus an alien?
NBCNews.com
The octopus certainly does look strange, with bugged-out eyes, suction-cup tentacles, and the ability to change color for camouflage. But a new paper in a peer-reviewed scientific journal posits that octopuses aren't just strange: They are ALIENS ...
They Swim Among Us: Are Octopuses Actually Extraterrestrials?Geek
Paper Suggests Octopuses Came From Space: Here's Why Octopuses Are So FascinatingBrinkwire (press release)

all 4 news articles »

Continue reading...

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
MetaZoan #63 Octopuses Did Not Come From Space 5/24/2018

@pgs weighs in on the octopus eggs from space paper

A few months ago a paper appeared online that argued, among other things, that octopuses might have arrived from space several hundred million years ago as frozen eggs, carried by a meteorite. The paper has 33 authors and is in press in a journal called Progress in Biophysics and Molecular Biology. Much of the article is concerned with an older idea that all life on Earth might have been seeded from space, but it is the octopus claim that has been picked up by the media. Several news stories* have also made a connection between this article and my book Other Minds, where I claim that because of their combination of behavioral complexity and evolutionary distance from us, encountering a cephalopod like an octopus is probably the closest we will come to meeting an intelligent alien.

Might octopuses really have come from space? Is this a possibility to take at least somewhat seriously? I don’t think it should be taken seriously at all; it is vanishingly unlikely to be true. ..,

Mark Carnall

Blue Ring
Registered
I wrote about this a few weeks ago. On the cephalopod science alone, it's clear they don't know what they're talking about. Full of technical errors, ignorance of nomenclature, cherry picking a few papers, speculation and limited grasp of probability. Total nonsense and full of hubris.

Fortunately from tweets and this blog a few media agencies picked up the nonsense side before it was reported too far and wide as an actual science story.

How this got published...

tonmo

Titanites
Staff member
Webmaster

Mark Carnall

Blue Ring
Registered
Well they even call out one of the manuscript reviewers IN THE PAPER and kind of boast that they won't be referring to any of the usual forms of evidence in this field...

Squirrel1

O. bimaculoides
Registered
Sounds a bit like panspermia, which I think could have happened... but I’m a bit skeptical about if larger, more complex animals would have been able to arrive here. Sounds kind of fake.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mercuryorbit

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak