Science Day at a Brooklyn High School

gjbarord

Sepia elegans
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
Hi Everyone,

My roommate is an art teacher at Bay Academy middle school in Brooklyn, NY. As an art teacher, she was asking the students what animals had striped patterns. I think she was assuming to hear the normal responses of tigers and zebras. But the students said "NAUTILUSES!". Apparently they had learned about nautiluses and the overfishing of the shells in their social studies class from a Time for Kids article that came out in January about the research that I am a part of with Peter Ward. The students then began telling my roommate all about nautilus... The link to the Time for Kids article is below.

http://www.timeforkids.com/news/saving-nautilus/25911

So, when the science fair came along my roommate asked if I would volunteer and do an exhibit. I agreed! I brought some computers and looped some of the underwater footage from Australia and had the students try to identify the nautiluses individually, just as I have been doing for months now....

I was encouraged and excited at how much the students knew about nautiluses and how interested they were in simply trying to identify individual nautiluses. Maybe there is even more hope for nautiluses to survive!!

Greg

Attachments

• conv_305148.jpg
    conv_305148.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 262
Hey, they may not be as interactive as their cousins the octopus but they are sooo cool it makes up for their lack of interest in humans.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back