Science Day at a Brooklyn High School

Discussion in 'Jana's Corner - Cephs for Kids' started by gjbarord, Mar 28, 2012.

1. gjbarord

gjbarord Sepia elegans Staff Member Moderator

Hi Everyone,

My roommate is an art teacher at Bay Academy middle school in Brooklyn, NY. As an art teacher, she was asking the students what animals had striped patterns. I think she was assuming to hear the normal responses of tigers and zebras. But the students said "NAUTILUSES!". Apparently they had learned about nautiluses and the overfishing of the shells in their social studies class from a Time for Kids article that came out in January about the research that I am a part of with Peter Ward. The students then began telling my roommate all about nautilus... The link to the Time for Kids article is below.

http://www.timeforkids.com/news/saving-nautilus/25911

So, when the science fair came along my roommate asked if I would volunteer and do an exhibit. I agreed! I brought some computers and looped some of the underwater footage from Australia and had the students try to identify the nautiluses individually, just as I have been doing for months now....

I was encouraged and excited at how much the students knew about nautiluses and how interested they were in simply trying to identify individual nautiluses. Maybe there is even more hope for nautiluses to survive!!

Greg

Attached Files:

DWhatley and Terri like this.
  2. Jean

Jean Colossal Squid Supporter

I LIKE these students! HAve you been brainwashing them??? :grin: I do my best but i don't seem to have quite the right technique!

3. gjbarord

gjbarord Sepia elegans Staff Member Moderator

:smile: It's easy when you work with such a charismatic animal as the playful nautilus.....

Greg

4. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

Hey, they may not be as interactive as their cousins the octopus but they are sooo cool it makes up for their lack of interest in humans.