Scared of crabs?

Discussion in 'Octopus Care' started by Krakilin, Dec 24, 2008.

1. Krakilin

Krakilin O. bimaculoides Registered

I bought an arrow crab for my tank and now my octopus is always hiding and never out! I've had Spectre for about a month now.. and he started coming out the past week until I put the crab in there. Now he's eating less and hiding more.

I have some live crabs in there for him to eat though. Should I remove the arrow crab or leave it? The crab eats the leftovers like crazy :[ I'd miss him.

Here is the beast: [​IMG]

2. Nancy

Nancy Titanites Staff Member Moderator

If the arrow crab is causing your octopus to hide and eat less, then you need to remove the arrow crab, even if you like the crab. Can you move it to another tank? Otherwise, you need to find another home for it.

Nancy

3. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

Interesting. I have never thought about putting an arrow crab in with an octo. My first assumption would be an expensive lunch but I have not kept an arrow for a long time since I like my feather dusters and the arrows will eat most any kind of worm, including the feathers. The reaction could be shyness to something new in the environment and a day or two of adjustment will either provide the gormet lunch or the octo will flick it out of its way. On the other hand, the one I did keep would pick at things incesently and that kind of behavior would be akin to keeping damsels and could really stress the octopus.

4. Octavarium

Octavarium Wonderpus Registered

strange. I actually had a small arrow with an aggresive picasso trigger back in the day, yet he never ever bothered the arrow. Maybe their "war of the worlds" tripod look makes them intimidating.

5. cuttlegirl

cuttlegirl Colossal Squid Supporter Registered

:goofysca: That crab scares me... Why don't you try removing it to a bucket of salt water around the time your octopus is active (when you used to see it). The crab would be ok in a large bucket for awhile (maybe less than an hour...).

6. Krakilin

Krakilin O. bimaculoides Registered

I just threw the crab in the sump :] I'll keep you guys updated on how active my octopus gets after that. and..

Merry Christmas!!!! :old:

7. sedna

sedna Larger Pacific Striped Octopus Supporter Registered

Good for you! I like arrow crabs, but every one I've had has been aggressive and eventually ended up freaking me out a bit, I don't blame Spectre.

8. DWhatley

DWhatley Cthulhu Staff Member Moderator

That's where ours ended up too but be careful, he crawled out and did not find his way back in a timely manner.