Scaled reference drawings of architeuthis?

Hi Um, Hi Melissa, thanks very much I appreciate it :smile:

As far as levels of detail are concerned, I’m planning on adding things as I learn about them. I need to get the cross-sectional shape of the arms and tentacles right. The suckers will be done as color and bump texture maps, which should be ok, unless I want to do some extreme closeup renders.

As far as models of real marine creatures, there’s an image of a sea scorpion I did a couple of years back in the Artwork section of my website. It was called The Crawdad of the Apocalypse. There’s a model of a praying mantis I was working on that still needs to be finished. I’ll probably try a detailed model of a trilobite sometime, as well as some of the nautiloids. Plus of course some of the old marine reptiles.

Thanks again,
--Carl
:trilobit:

Carl, if you're not in a terrible hurry (as in a 4-week-wait is ok), then I can take 'pics' to order (as in post all manner of Archi images online to help with this model).
O

Hi Steve, a 4-week wait is no problem at all. :smile: I have a mantis that needs completing and other projects with loose ends that need tying up. Any images you might have to offer would be a big help to me and I greatly appreciate you taking the time to make them available when it's convenient to you. 8)

--Carl - saying that would be great, thanks :biggrin2:
div34.gif

Brilliant work, Carl. And to think this isn't even finished! I'm using your image as wallpaper as we speak.

:notworth: :notworth: :notworth: :notworth: :notworth:

really like the way you handled the dappled light...I tried to carry that off in a white shark painting, and failed miserably...ended up painting it in a storm...
There was a really great painter at a reptile show a few years ago that did a series of elasmosaurs, etc, with that same effect...very nice !
You should take a bow!
greg

Hey Greg, thanks, I’m honored. I checked out your website and liked your painting “Langaha”, and I’d like to see some more. The kraken on the Viking ship sail was a nice touch too 8)

The caustics light effect in the image was produced using a freebie program called the Caustics Generator which produces an image file containing a random tileable caustic light pattern.
After I had the models, light, and haze set up in Carrara and the scene arranged the way I wanted it, I added an extra light overhead and applied the caustics image to the light as a gel. It took about 20 or 30 test renders to get things looking right before I could do the final image renders.

--Carl
div34.gif

Hi Carl; we'll be doing at least one squid (Architeuthis) examination on October 11 (we have 3 to look at, but will stagger these over a week). We can get pics online that (unlikely; will be fixing/'preserving' it), the next (very unlikely; filming), but definitely the following day (not a problem). Howz about a list of things you'd really like a look at.

It is quite likely that none of the specimens will be dissected, so any pics will be limited to external detail only.
O

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back