Scaled reference drawings of architeuthis?

I just noticed some excellent photos in this thread, particularly one by Felipe right here.
Is the cross-sectional head shape of architeuthis similar to the shape seen in that image?
If so, I could use that as a reference to adjust my model.

Thanks,
--Carl
div34.gif

I'd meant to say something Carl - been an eternity since I've addressed any query online.

Ja, in the absence of other info I'd certainly prefer the head to be more box-like, the eyes very much on the lateral face of the box, and with both dorsal and ventral depressions on the head (dorsally a depression between the two tire-like lateral eyes; ventrally a depression to accommodate the funnel).

I don't believe the mantle will be as dorso-ventrally compressed as it is in the image of Sepioteuthis (in which the fins extend the length of the mantle, inserted laterally), but there would be a slight dorso-ventral compression, and quite possibly a slight, raised dorsal ridge (marking the gladius).

In the linked thread you will note the funnel oriented down, if not slightly deflected backwards (posteriorly). These images are of the squid swimming forwards. I'll post (on the other thread) images of the funnel oriented forwards, in which the squid is moving backwards.

Those are rather nice lateral keels on the arms of the Sepioteuthis; these assist it in forward navigation (it slices like a blade through the water); the arm crown also dorso-ventrally compressed (rather than cylindrical).
O

Hi Steve, and thanks for the feedback and the information. :smile:

If you had not mentioned the dorsal depression between the eyes, I would have included the raised center dorsal ridge that shows up on the head of Sepioteuthis in Felipe’s image.

Images of the next version to follow, though it may be a week or two before I have anything worth posting.

--Carl
:nautiloi:

All hail CarlS, for saving this old forum thread on his hard drive, such that I could go through and edit each of these posts and restore the original image attachments to each post.

Hail Carl!! :notworth: :notworth: :notworth:

Restoring the pics is pretty tedious, but it's worth it for a thread as valuable as this. If anyone else has copies of classic TONMO.com threads from the old board saved to your hard drive, let me know, perhaps I'd be able to restore old pics from the old board...

Yes, it's technically a TONMO.com copyright violation, but in this case there's a greater good to be gained. Thanks again Carl!

Wow, it looks excellent, Tony. :notworth: :thumbsup: :notworth:
It must have been a ton of work getting all those pics in place, thanks very much.
I had saved those pages onto my laptop for reference while modeling the architeuthis, since that machine is rarely online.

Speaking of the modeling, that work has recently resumed after the laptop underwent a hard drive replacement and a nuke and repave. I was able to save all of the data off the old drive (including archi), but the machine was still out of comission for over a month. Hopefully, I'll have some images of the new improved model to post here soon.

Thanks again, :smile:
--Carl

Looking forward to an update Carl. I must pull finger and attach images to other threads; it makes a huge difference to the viewer.

Looks like MonkeyWrench is doing something similar with an octopus. Cool!

Hi Steve and everybody else. :smile:

Here’s an image done with version 57 of the architeuthis model.
I started off trying to assemble something with multiple views of the model to show the updates made in the shape of the mantle and head. I liked the arrangement, so took it as-is and colored it in Photoshop.

A larger (1024 by 768 pixel), better quality version of this image has been uploaded to the gallery.
The arms and tentacles look a bit short because I faded out their ends to keep the picture from getting too cluttered. If anything stands out as being wrong, please let me know and I’ll get on it.

Currently, I’m working on version 59, getting the polygons more evenly distributed along the arms and tentacles, and planning on adding suckers along the arm’s oral faces. Once that's done, the UV mapping and texturing will begin, followed by making the model posable.

Thanks again,
--Carl
:squid:

Attachments

• conv_287672.jpg
    conv_287672.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 157
CarlS,

Hey there; this'll be rather trivial after all the other posts, but being from TN, do you know the writer/artist Eric Powell? He's done some awesome ceph-work. Just wondering.

Erich :cthulhu:

Thanks Chrono, thanks ArchyNorth :smile:

For some full length pics of the model, check the previous page in this thread.
Those images are of an earlier version of the model. The new image on this page started out as illustration of the things that had been changed since that earlier version.

Thanks again,
--Carl
:squid:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back