Scaled reference drawings of architeuthis?

Now, as for before, the upper left picture should be viewed alongside the upper right picture of the last image posted in the previous post. Now you can see the arms and tentacles quite clearly in cross section.

Now let the fun begin; it's like identifying individual noodles; pick an arm, any arm, and follow it to track changes in cross-sectional morphology. Good luck!

And here's a guide

Attachments

• conv_287544.jpg
    conv_287544.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 128
  • conv_287545.jpg
    conv_287545.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 170
  • conv_287546.jpg
    conv_287546.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 110
All of this info makes me want to build an Archi soon!! :notworth: :notworth:

I have always wanted to do a cuttle, mostly because of the colors.

All of these pictures makes me miss workshop and my torch. :frown:

Carl, I am really exicted about the possibility of an animated or posable rendering. Being able to move it through the positions of of what I would like to build would be a huge time saver. I wish that I could have done that with Big Red. Instead Ijust had to imagine it all. :bonk: :goofysca:

Wow, these are perfect! :biggrin2: :notworth: :biggrin2:
Thanks Steve for the posting and the explanation, and thanks also to Matt. :smile:

For reference, I’m going to try putting the images into sequence in PhotoShop so I don’t have to keep doing the mental leap-frogging. If that works out, I’ll put the images up on my site and post a link to it here.

Hi there Pipsqueak. Posability and animation is in the future for this model, though that’s a good ways down the road. BTW, your Big Red is an incredible piece of work. 8)

--Carl – saying thanks again :biggrin2:
div34.gif

Here's a composite of the CT scan images :smile:

One set of images were omitted as duplicates (lower pair of file1 and upper pair of file3).
I adjusted the scaling using the ruler reference in the images, and put them into order from the back of the head to near the tentacle tips.

I'm just uploading the composite file and posting a link to it here, since a 4750 by 300 pixel image (233 KB) might be a bit unweildy on the forum page.

Clicking the link should open the file in a new window.
If your browser resizes it to a tiny size, just let your mouse hover over the image and click the mag button that appears on the lower right.

Then scroll, and scroll, and scroll some more. :shock:

--Carl - singing scroll, scroll, scroll your boat....
:archi:

:wink:

Thanks for that Carl; it does make viewing/interpretation a lot easier.

We have similar scans right throughout the squid, but because it is out of water, and collapsed under its own weight, they are far less informative (from a structural point of view). They're great for peeking inside the animal, and for looking at any additional calcareous structures within the animal (of which there prove to be none ... this was part of the exercise).

CU through the head quite clearly showed the two tiny statoliths in situ, which was rather informative for me, and the presence of a few other tiny calcareous structures in there, but you'll not see these unless you have the full-size images we have here (considerably larger than the images posted online).

Phil's sis, Moog, might be interested in these, but she's gone and done the vanishing act on us after her US OE. Where is she now Phil?

Ps, here's the 4th arm TS, though I've not labelled any parts (I'm sure that you're on top of this now, and this post in done ever-so-slightly in haste).

Attachments

• conv_287541.jpg
    conv_287541.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 195
Hi Steve, thanks for the information, and for the fourth arm image which completes that set 8)

The two keels and the buccal connective show up very well there.

I've started updating the Architeuthis model with the new information. The model for the image in the gallery was version 30. Right now, it's up to version 33, with a lot more to go.

Thanks again, :smile:
--Carl - who tends to save the intermediate steps
:nautiloi:

Hi Steve, one question on this image of Histioteuthis that you posted on page 3 of this thread.
In that image, I noticed that the shape of the “lips” around the beak looks roughly triangular instead of round. I can model that shape, but I need to know which way to orient it.

Thanks, :smile:
--Carl
:coffee:

Here are some screenshots of version 49 of the Architeuthis model.
The version used in The Gathering of the Elders image was version 25.

There are a few more things I want to refine on the model
If I could get some feedback at this point, it would be great, because any structural changes would be relatively easy to implement. Once I finish with the modeling, and start in with the UV mapping for texturing, and making the model posable, it will be much harder to go back and change anything.

Things I ought to point out here are that the model is still untextured except for the eyes.
The arms and tentacles are still completely straight giving the model the appearance of a teuthid salad fork. This will be fixed once the model is made posable.

Here's a quad view of the model.
Squid_49_QuadView_80.jpg

Here's a profile view.
squid_49_profile_02_80.jpg

Here's are two oral views, with different types of lighting to make the keels visible. Note that this pair of shots used a telephoto lens, so the images are very foreshortened making the tentacle clubs look like squarish footballs.
squid_49_oral_02a_80.jpg

Arm pair 1 has an oral ventro-lateral keel.
Arm pairs 2 and 3 have oral ventro-lateral and dorso-lateral keels.
Arm pair 4 has an aboral dorso-lateral keel.

The arrangement and relative sizes of the keels are based on the photographs and CAT scams posted here by Dr O'Shea.
I may have gotten them too long down the arm length.

The last two images are linked to due to their size, around 150 KB each. If these images don't open to full size, then let your mouse hover over the image and click on the magnification button that appears. Sorry about the JPEG artifacts here.
Here is a screenshot from inside the Amapi modeling program showing the beak and buccal region.
Click here

Here is the same area viewed from a slight angle. For this shot, I deleted the arms and tentacle on the right side to get a clear view.
Click here

Anyway, that's what the model looks like now.
If anyone sees anything wrong, please give a holler because it's much easier to fix now than it will be later on.

Thanks for looking, and thanks for all your previous help to get me this far :smile:
--Carl
:squid:

Weally hoping that Master O is getting a copy of that model at some point.... so i can play with it :heee:
What? hey! i helped hold the stinkin' squid when he was taking pictures... 8)
i know, i know, i get roped in all kind of weird stuff... good ol' J-block... :lol:

TPOTH

Hi there Tpoth
div16.gif

Of course I'll be sending a copy of the finished model to Dr O and staff, together with my sincere thanks :smile:

You'll be free to do whatever you want with images made from the model, just mention me in the credits as the one that did the building and whatnot. Please don't distribute the actual model though. The main reason for that is that this is a long term project covering months of my "spare" time. Once something gets loose on the Internet, it's out of your control, and I'd hate to see my work turning up for sale by somebody else. On the same token, whenever I post an image of the model, I've always mentioned Dr O'Shea and the folks here at Tonmo with a couple of links. There are now a few more 3D artists out there interested in this neat place.

So Phase 1 of this project (the biggest part of it) is almost complete. Phase 2 will be UV mapping the model so that textures can be wrapped around it with minimum distortion. Phase 3 will be making it posable, first in Carrara, then possibly in Poser as well.

So, before I can wrap up the modeling portion of this project, any feedback on the model as it exists in those screenshots?

--Carl - saying hi to Tpoth and many thanks :notworth:
per31.gif
per19.gif
per124.gif

Hi Carl; am kind-of at the end of my rope here .... just need a couple more days to get on top of things. For some reason (gut instinct) I would like to see the head more rectangular, with the eyes filling the lateral face (regardless of the dorsal curvature of the head on the CT scans), but pics and explanations are a couple of days away yet.

Please do hold off before locking the animatic; I'll explain later. Otherwise, looks 'expletive' good.
O

Thank you very much Dr O'Shea, for your comments and input, that's good to know. :smile:
I'll hold off on any more modifications to the model until I hear more from you.

--Carl - having breakfast
party68.gif
before rolling off to work
cars33.gif

:squid:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back