• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

saving an octopus

Hi i was at a local H Mart and they had a couple of live octopus. The problem is they were keeping them in 47 degree water???. My tank water is 77 degrees so the acclimation would be drastic , Plus there is no way of knowing if its a cold water species? Any thoughts on whether it would doable? Felt terrible for them!!!! Thanks Tom

It's too bad that this happens in our society, but it does... As for suggested actions, by one measure, how can it be any worse / what fate are they facing otherwise?

Yes, they are a cold water species and will die immediately at 77 degrees, regardless of how long you try to acclimate.

There have been several attempts to keep these Korean octos but with very little success. I believe @davelin315 succeeded in keeping a pair alive for a month after several attempts (
Rescued an octopus from an Asian Food Market today and 4 years later journaled as
Asian Food Market Octos - Take 2), my experience with Thing 1 and Thing 2 was less successful. Dave's two journals are quite informative but there may be a couple of other attempts that I don't recall. You can try searching Hmart, asian octopus and korean octopus with our search tool if you want to find some of the less documented attempts.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back