• TONMOCON VII Announced | MBL at Woods Hole | Apr 6-8, 2018
  • Thanks for visiting! TONMO is the world's greatest online cephalopod enthusiast community, with interactive content going back to May of 2000, and a biennial conference. If you'd like to join in on the fun, become a TONMO member -- it's easy and free. You can follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Sand, sand, sand!!!!

L8 2 RISE

Haliphron Atlanticus
Registered
I fainally got around to setting up my tank with live rock and live sand. I put the sand in, and now it has completely fogged up the water. Should I turn my filter off or leave it on?

muskox

Blue Ring
Registered
The exact same thing happened to me. I left the filters on and it took a couple of day for it to clear out. That was the second time it had happened. The first time it happened I think I turned the filters off but I had messed something up in the tank setting up process and took the work I had doen uppart. I never got to see the results for the first one.

L8 2 RISE

Haliphron Atlanticus
Registered
Should I have an air stone or anything in the tank? It's a 12 gallon and I have a whisper 20i in it. But the output of the filter is pretty much right at the water level so no bubbles or anything are made.

Thales

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Then its going to be cloudy for a while. Wait a couple of days, unless you have a good, and I mean good, canister filter with a micron cartridge, and are willing to rinse it often.

Wait a sec, was all the sand from a friends tank?

L8 2 RISE

Haliphron Atlanticus
Registered
yes, and it has actually cleared up to reveal several small seastars, a hermit crab, and some other small....things. Why do you ask?

cthulhu77

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
Let it settle down for a day, then turn on the filter. If you run the filter while the particulates are all floating about, you will clog the filter quickly, as Thales noted.

L8 2 RISE

Haliphron Atlanticus
Registered
so what should I do, how long should I wait untill I put fish in? all of the live rock and sand is from an established tank, so it's cured and everything.

Members online

No members online now.