Salt Water feeder fish *WARNING*

esquid

Haliphron Atlanticus
Registered
Reaction score
Small is a relative term. Where I work the small tanks are 40 gallons. That still doesn't answer the question of were you doing water changes based upon test results.

Supernoob

O. bimaculoides
Registered
Reaction score
No. Just being cautious I guess. I test my 250 gallon tanks water once a week and supplement my smaller tank with it's water to keep it stable. Is this not a good practice?

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
I wrote Paul Sachs to inquire about the use of copper in the WC fish he offers and this was his reply:

We do not use copper on our live feeds. And we don't use copper on our seahorses either.

We don't often run into sickness issues with our feeds, so the need for treatment is nill.

Thales

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Reaction score
I once fed some S. latimanus, in two separate tanks, silversides and then experienced some unexplainable deaths the next day. They ate a lot of silversides. On necropsy, there seemed to be nothing obviously wrong with any of their organs. Fish from the same package silversides had been fed previously with no ill effects. Perhaps there is some compound in fish besides copper that too much of it ingested causes health issues? Seems weak, but why not bring it up? :biggrin2:

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
Another antecdotal food for thought I have pondered is that we have seen octopuses only eat the belly out of some of the live fish they have chosed for dinner. This would be soft and squishy like a clam without anything that might lodge in their brains like bones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dleo4590

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak

About the Monty Awards