• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Salt Mixes

Do you have any pH problems with IO - the study Dan refers us to found that IO mixed to a pH of 8.7.

I find Kent's too low (around 8.0)

Nancy

Kent salt is the cheapest one over here and I have used it from time to time but in the last 10 years or so I have always specifically bought and used Tropic Marin from TMC.

I find that it is fairly consistent in the pH readings after a day or so and that is even with my local water which is so soft it barely shows up any hardness in a test kit, so its buffering capacity is non existent.

Will be interesting to see how you get on with it, Nancy

i use instant ocean. it works extremely well. have pretty much always had a reading of at least 8.0. then it usually bounces up to 8.2ish. i would never change companies or mixes!

One thing I noticed about the Tropic Marin salt is that it holds its pH much better than Kent.

And for some unknown reason, my burgundy mushrooms seem to like the TM salt much better - they have deeper color.

Nancy

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back