• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

S. officinalis question

Gurky

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
So Tuesday evening I got some officinalis juveniles (about 1 cm) and tried feeding them Wednesday and today but no feeding response at all (the food even walked into them, but they just swam away). The size of the food is about ½-1 size of the cuttles. They are also very inactive. Should I put in some more macro algae in my breeders box to make them feel more secure? At the moment I only have a small amount in the box since I'd like to be able to see how they are doing. Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

They don't know exactly but they think they are 2-3 weeks old. They also said that food was always present in the tanks they kept them in.

Edit: Considering their size maybe they are bandensis and not officinalis?

Edit(2): They have started to hunt for the food! :smile:

Gurky If they are s.officinalis they should be growing at a pretty big fast at 3 weeks they would be about a 1cm in length. These guys can take down food bigger than themselves as they get older too. The temperature is fine I run them anywhere from 13-20 degrees dependent on the time of year. Watch for floating at the surface it can sometimes indicate that they are hungry but if they have started hunting food that is great. Are they stalking their pray on the bottom or circling it and then striking via swimming as this may give an indication whether or not you have officinalis, but as you are in Sweden then it is most likely officinalis. If you want anymore information about these little guys just let me know as I've currently got about 30 on the go a couple months older than yours.

Oh ok. The info I found told me they would be 1.0-1.2cm when they hatched.
So far they have always been close to the bottom. When hunting they stalk their prey by walking, then when within range shoot out their feeding tentacles.
I got my cuttles from De Jong in Holland and they supposedly had bandensis eggs a few week ago but not anymore (I assume they hatched) and now only have officinalis juveniles (number increased so my guess is they might have added the hatched eggs).

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back