• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

S. officinalis hatched

THANKS!! I never thought to look for cuttlefish (oops) articles - I am an octopus keeper so I have looked for studies on octos but it is likely the results will be the same if the content of the food is similar. I found the link to the abstract and posted both on the referenced thread. Should you come across other abstracts or articles with FW and SW crustacean comparisons, PLEASE pm me with a link or post it (I will see it if it is posted) as I believe we are missing quality live food alternatives but want to be very sure before making recommendations.

Unfortunately, I also found an abstract that suggest the crays AND farm raised shrimp do not contain the proper balance of fatty acid (abstracted included with the above article here)

While searching for the link I came across another abstract on first foods that I added to the cuttle care forum.

To be honest for me it is not really an issue as I surf and am at the sea every week or every other week.
I have a limitless supply of live crab and shrimp.

I found them in France on a beach in Morgat.
The videos you mention are taken at the 'zeelandbrug' which is a 6 km long bridge about an hour drive away from my home. I pass it nearly every time I go surfing.

zeekat,
I am most interested in finding what I can about alternate foods for those of us inland so all info we can dig up is helpful. Members that live at or near the beach have our envy and a much better selection of natural foods.

Only 15 left, the cuttles seem to like to hang out on the overflow screen, this results in a rising in the waterlevel and the emergency overflow is not screened.
My mediterranean fish had a nice snack :-(

I went collecting some praunus today, upon arrival I realised I forgot mu scuba gloves. So I have been in the water about 45 minutes without gloves in 5°C the initial shock is awful. After the collecting (snorkling) it was virtually impossible to get the key into the ignition!

I took hundreds of gammarus home as well.

But how the small guys like the live praunus!!

No hypothermia the suit is 8 mm and double over the body, it was just the hands and exposed parts of the face. My friends and family sometimes wonder if I got dropped on the head when I was a child...

2 days ago I noticed one small cuttel with a cut down the length of the mantle yesterday evening it was gone. I wonder what has caused this 7-8 mm cut, I doubt another cutle caused this.

It looks like they don' t like the heads of the praunus

Attachments

• conv_297375.jpg
    conv_297375.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 142
  • conv_297376.jpg
    conv_297376.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 148
  • conv_297377.jpg
    conv_297377.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 131
That was 2 times the same pic..the praunus btw is 4 cm long

Attachments

• conv_297378.jpg
    conv_297378.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 145
  • conv_297379.jpg
    conv_297379.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 122
  • conv_297380.jpg
    conv_297380.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 104

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back