S. officinalis hatched

zeekat

Blue Ring
Registered
Reaction score
I was lucky enough to find some eggs that were laying on a beach.

The eggs were suspended with a monofilament in a small 3 l container placed on top of my medditerrranean tank at 17°C.

The eggs hatched about a week ago.

The babies are fed with gammarus, praunus, live bloodworms and daphnia.
Today some took frozen mysis for the first time! I gues I got lucky with this.

Attachments

zeekat

Blue Ring
Registered
Reaction score
They are now in a 3 l tank placed on top of the mediterranean which is 220/70/40 cm.
I have about 40 so will need to give some to friends.

zeekat

Blue Ring
Registered
Reaction score
Unfortunatelty I know about the minimum requirements for tank size:sad:, but I have no plans on adding the cuttles to my Mediterranean tank as they will devoure everything and I'm very fond of my Lepadogaster.

So I plan on adding a new system that is 250/100/70 cm that is about 1700 l (440g for those not using the metric system)

On a side note I tried small woodlice today and they were taken!
I thought woodlice are cructacea and they have very close marine relatives so let' s give it a try.

I guess I got lucky that some of the babies already take frozen mysis after a week.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
zeekat,
It would be terrific if you would continue to journal these with us! I would like to move this thread to our Journals and Photos forum (with your permission) in hopes that you will keep us informed over the life of your serendipitous find.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Reaction score
We rarely have access to more than the wonderful bandensis in the US so it is really great to have journals for two different species (see Ramses for the broadclub journal) this year.

Reaction score
zeekat;166479 said:
On a side note I tried small woodlice today and they were taken!
I thought woodlice are cructacea and they have very close marine relatives so let' s give it a try.
Do you mean terrestrial woodlice? I would give those as a treat, but not as a steady diet.

zeekat

Blue Ring
Registered
Reaction score
I never planned to give the woodlice as a steady diet, but the more variety the better. I consider the bloodworms (mosquito larvae) not a good food but they 'contaminated' my daphnia culture and some of the cuttles like them.

Btw research has shown that fatty acid profiles aren' t all that different between freshwater and marine crustaceans.

Now about 50 % of the small cuttles eat frozen mysis.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mellen221

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan