S.Latimanus | The Octopus News Magazine Online
  • Thanks for visiting! TONMO is the world's greatest online cephalopod enthusiast community, with interactive content going back to May of 2000, and a biennial conference. If you'd like to join in on the fun, become a TONMO member -- it's easy and free. Follow us on Facebook and Twitter for more cephy goodness.

S.Latimanus

Nancy

Titanites
Staff member
Cephalopods: A World Guide gives this as the size:

Body (and shell) to 50 cm.

So it's a big one!

Don't have anything on the lifespan.

Nancy

joel_ang

Architeuthis
Registered
Thanks Nancy, maybe I'll release Zoidberg when he gets too large. snif' :cry:. Does anyone here have any info on how to keep squids :squid: ? I was just wodering since I have access to live squid. Maybe :oshea: can help?

cthulhu77

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
Don't worry...ANY spelling errors are forgiven...we all do them. I am somewhat curious about keeping squids also...loligo should be able to be kept in a large tank...has anyone done that???
Greg
p.s. please forgive any (sic)s I may make too!

Colin

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
was that too picky????? LOL

apologies, my spelling is pretty crap normally, but just in case you were doing web searches and getting nothing cuz the speeling wiz rong.

also, added squid info under other thread

:bonk:

Colin

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
Cuttles will naturally have more fish in their diet than an octopus would and I used a fair amount of fish for my cuttles but make sure you still have a varied diet and maybe take days about between fish and crustaceans

joel_ang

Architeuthis
Registered
Maybe I'll feed zoidberg crabs or crayfish. Zoidberg seems to flash colours before he inks( I managed too get a vid of it, I already sent it), is this some kind of warning sign?

mikeconstable

GPO
Registered
Eye infection?

When I fed my cuttlefish gamma frozen fish, old scratches on their backs used to whiten frighteningly. Feeding shrimp (live and frozen) allowed the problem to fade back slowly.
My system used live rock, sand and a skimmer, so was nowhere near sterile! Nitrate was higher than ideal due to food input levels.

Colin

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
that's interesting MIke...

Joel, keep a close eye on what the cuttle is doing... he may be bumping into the glass or rocks etc... I had seen that on one cuttle i had that never seemed to watch where he was going and would get abrasions on his eyes.

Also, this is hopefully premature, but cuttles eyes do give away the start of senesence... they get a type of cataracts effect, is that what you are seeing or is it a fungus?

Colin

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
nah, nothing could transfer from them to the cuttle..... just make sure you dont treat the fungus for anything sold in aquarium stores for fish related fungi!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Any chance of posting a pic of the cuttle's eye Joel?

joel_ang

Architeuthis
Registered
:cry: Nope can't post a pic anytime soon, I can't find e software needed to upload the pics ( now where did i put it :x ) Maybe I'll try feeding it shrimp and crabs only, in Mikes case the fish seemed to be e prob rite?

Colin

TONMO Supporter
Supporter
yeah, well you could try that but maybe a water change and some tank maintenance is in order too? could be that also? check to make sure the pH and hardness havnt crashed...

mikeconstable

GPO
Registered
Infections of cuttlefish

Apart from the scratches (from rocks when they were young?) I saw no other evidence for infections. Maybe the rear-end-damage was too white to notice anything :?: but even in general ageing (senesence) still shewed no signs of infection, just got tatty and lethargic.
No fish diet was the only thing tried by me, and it seemed to help with the scratches.

Members online

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV: Terri
TONMOCON V: Jean
TONMOCON VI: Taollan
TONMOCON VII: ekocak

About the Monty Awards