• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

S Bandensis

thanks for that collin - let us know how it goes! (eagerly awaiting response!!!) though it seems that getting cuttles in australia has suddenly become a lot easier with suppliers now willing to order them specifically they appear on ordering lists every 2 weeks or so i am told!!! yay

Hey all,

These eggs have completely dissapeared from the importers list recently. My guys are on it, and as soon as they turn up, we'll give you an update.

Blast - i only missed them by a week too - anyone know if the they are seasonal layers?

not sure about bandensis but the giant australian cuttlefish congregate in enormous groups of thousands in certain places to spawn - they are so docile at this time that you can pick them up with your hands. It happens at whyalla in south australia at a certain time every year in the same place/time within a week or so every year (a little off track but cool!!) im not sure if others do the same - i would have thought not since they have lifespans of less than a year in some cases! but i might be wrong...

Hi Mikey
I'm pretty sure they will be seasonal.. I'm guessing that on the fact that we have seasonal influxes of 'how to keep bandensis' questions. Thats when the adults often start appearing in the US. However, they might have two seasons per year... dont know enough about them in the wild.

Still got fingers crossed

Cheers Col, How's things going? Not seen you on-line in a while. Busy with the fish garage are ya?

Well, if they are annually seasonal, we just got another 10 months to wait mate!

Busy with a lot of stuff Mike, selling houses and buying houses aint much fun :frown:

Fish garage wont be too long now, aim to have it running by end of the summer, just got the glass sorted out today for tanks :smile:

If any became available in the UK, hypothetically of course :wink: , would anyone here be interested in some Bandensis?

EDIT - oh, and would they collect from say Cumbria?

Hey all,
S. bandensis don't swarm to mate (but wouldn't it be great if they did!). They're very shy (in the wild) and a collector likely does a fair bit of rock (etc.) turning along the reef to find the eggs. If happy, they can mate and lay fertile, healthy eggs, and young can be raised in an aquarium (I've never kept them but know someone who has raised them). Given this- what are the sources of tank-raised eggs to the public, so people know where to buy them instead of wild-caughts? If none- then is this something that will be available soon? Seems it would be pretty profitable for someone to culture them.

Also- S.latimanus eggs are larger (golf-ball sized). Females generally lay the eggs in certain corals, and some bommies along the reef seem to be particularly good spawning grounds. A collector would have to do some major damage to the coral to get them, so wild-caughts aren't the most sustainable choice for eggs. Are these generally tank-raised?

Thanks for the info there mucktopus, espeiclally on latimanus, and their egg size/shape.

I guess I was trying to drop a hint, to see what the interest was like, rather than make an enquiry on the species. As if all goes to plan, I'm quite a bit on with my plans - as in, maybe get ready for some in a couple of months time....

Just to add, eggs just developing at the moment. Haven't got a fantastic ID on them, but location and size seems to tie in with Bandensis.

Just checked on web, and noticed they are found in those waters- still fingers crossed. I suppose even with a scientific name supplied from an LFS they can still turn out not to be as described! :lol:

Heres a pic, egg size may 14mm now swollen with development, compared to about 10mm when i got them. Eyes are soo cute!

DSCF0256 (Medium).JPG

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back