• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

S. Bandensis

Hello I plan on getting Sepia Bandensis eggs soon and was wondering what my alternatives were to feeding the babies besides live mysid(mysis?) Thank you!:smile:

I know that mysids are recommended early on, but afterwards you could feed them amphipods. You want to start culturing the amphipods before you get the eggs, and you basically try and siphon pods that are a bit smaller than the cuttlefish. Supposed to be more difficult for the cuttlefish to catch, which I could see, but my plan for when I get mine is to start with mysids and then go to amphipods, trying to gutload both with the best food I can get (and probably doses of Selcon as well).

Afterwards, plan on going to shore shrimp and (hopefully) prev. frozen thawed gulf shrimp or the like.

Anyone with more experience have advice? I have been looking at that question and amphipods seemed the best alternative.

Edit: Store for all kinds of live foods, seem to have good prices (about to be buying from them, no personal experiences but the price is right): Cannot connect to MySQL server

Edit 2: Read this, decided to link it: http://www.tonmo.com/forums/showthr...sh-(Sepia-officinalis)-of-fed-shrimp-vs.-fish

Multiple studies about different diets on growth and survival of cuttlefish. Mysis shrimp are recommended early on but show no advantage beyond the initial few weeks according to that info. Going to try to gutload my amphipods to help their nutritional value in any case.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back