• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

S.Bandensis Eggs - Almondsaz Cuttlefish Journal

Well I got my books and there are some very notable people from TONMO referenced in it (The Cephalopods book) and I am really pleased with this purchase. I don't mean to offend anyone, but the second book on Live food has some useful info, but it is fairly limited as to its application to saltwater. There are three great sections- amphipods, mysid, shrimp that apply, but I could have done with just getting it from the library. The Ceph book is a must have for Cephalopod keepers - great reference and very entertaining. There has to be more to D Whatley, but there is only the same reference as the Avitar....who is this "D" who provides such great info??????:confused:

Certainly not an author or educator like many our other esteem staff members and unfortunately not even mysterious (odd yes, mysterious, no). I will try again this week to create the required photo so that my staff status can be officially published (unfortunately, you'll find nothing interesting in the bio). I have come up with a photo idea but have not executed it yet. :oops:

I took a quick look at the live food book when I first acquired it and nothing grabbed me but still do intend to spend more time going through it for ideas. My main interest would be for suggestions for things to try with pelegic (small egg) octo hatchlings but none of my opportunities have materialized (a couple of broodings but no young).

I believe the short answer is I have kept at least one octopus in residence since acquiring Trapper (December 2006) and have only tried bendensis cuttles once with poor success (Feb 2007).

The long answer is I am still a novice (well maybe I qualify for intermediate in the hobby world if you count quantity and raising young and not just time) octo keeper and would like to grow my octopus knowledge to the point I would feel comfortable claiming a higher level of understanding. I think about trying cuttles in my largest tank from time to time and may try again once I lose my mandarin and tigger fish. Harry has been with me for four or five years and shows no signs of ill health and Winchester is fairly new to the tank so I don't expect to try again any time soon.

KaySoh (post brood) looks really sad today and almost dehydrated (I do wish I could get Roy or Steve to suggest how octos get fresh water when they fast, it puzzles me) so I will have an empty tank soon but I really am going to wait for a hummelincki this time, I think :roll:. It is always an it depends when I have an empty tank as to what species is next. What it depends on varys with how long I have to look at an empty tank and what the guys I keep in touch with in FL find or the occassional special interest item that shows up on Live Aquaria (Maya and Puddles) or by TONMO members (Thales with Beldar) or at our not so local fish store (went to pick one up once after they called to find it had been sold while we were driving to the store) and, of late, my pocket book (empty). I have not yet kept all the species of octos I would like to experience but hopefully that list grows in stead of shrinks. The ones Tracy at Octopus_Reef has put up on the availability thread keep grabbing my attention but they may be gone before the tank is empty and I can't stand it any longer (and as I was writing this, the Live Aquaria specials email popped in - fortunately, no octos). The eye size on Tracy's little guys make me think they are nocturnals and possibly dwarfs but I really have no clue what they are (and that presents an interesting challenge). I would like a diurnal to contrast with the rest of my current lot but serendipity has a way of filling my tanks that I cannot object to and always enjoy. Needless to say, I am eligable to joint the cuttle ranks at any time but would be at the bottom of the knowledge chain when I do.

Thanks for the positive comments about Cephalopods: Octopuses and Cuttlefishes for the Home Aquarium - we're really glad you liked our book! We always kept our Tonmo ceph keepers in mind as we were writing this book, and many of these people provided photos and input. We've heard from many ceph keepers about how useful our book has been for them. That makes all the work we put into it worthwhile. So thanks again.

As for the second book, Culturing Live Foods, I received a copy with a promise to write a review, and haven't done that yet. I'd appreciate input from anyone who actually uses the book. Colin referred to Culturing Live Foods for feeding some of his freshwater fish, and the bulk of the information is certainly geared towards freshwater. However, the author also includes good infomation about food that can be used for saltwater creatures like cephs.

Nancy

I really have only found the two section on mysids and amphipods to be of value for my current interests in the book "Culturing Live Foods". Cephalopods: Octopus and Cuttlefishes for the Home Aquarium is addicting. I really enjoy reading and reviewing the book. While my interest is specific to the sepia bandensis, I have enjoyed reading about the keeping of octopus. Thanks you for taking the time to post....I hope that you and Collin have another book in the making???????

Kind regards,

David

It is all a bit frustrating. I purchased 500 mysid (live) and after about a week they have canabalized to the point where I be I only got maybe 200 out of the deal. I am switching to amphipods during the "I hope it works" transition phase from live to frozen. I will get 200 more mysid to mix the frozen and live together for at least a week. They seem to like the amphipods and especially the fact that both are active when the lights go out. The 4 remaining (only lost one out of them all - I thought that was pretty good, though 0 losses would have been preferred) are little chubs so they must be eating quite a bit.

Almondsaz;151106 said:
It is all a bit frustrating. I purchased 500 mysid (live) and after about a week they have canabalized to the point where I be I only got maybe 200 out of the deal. I am switching to amphipods during the "I hope it works" transition phase from live to frozen. I will get 200 more mysid to mix the frozen and live together for at least a week. They seem to like the amphipods and especially the fact that both are active when the lights go out. The 4 remaining (only lost one out of them all - I thought that was pretty good, though 0 losses would have been preferred) are little chubs so they must be eating quite a bit.

How often were you feeding the mysids? You need to feed them at least twice a day , 3x would be better.

corpusse;151124 said:
How often were you feeding the mysids? You need to feed them at least twice a day , 3x would be better.
I feed them twice a day. They are certainly growing at a seemingly appropriate rate.

Almondsaz;151106 said:

I raised 3 cuttle on gammarus only from hatch until they were about 1 inch

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back