• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

S.Bandensis Eggs - Almondsaz Cuttlefish Journal

I must be getting impatient. I was so excited to think I would come home from work and find at least the one egg that the hatchling was moving alot in to be "hatched". Nothing. At least a little progress in that Omi is not staying on the plastic liner of the fish net. He has ventured out under the chaeto, even looks a little bigger (might be wishful thinking).

Wow, this is frustrating. I have been watching the egg that I believed was the next to hatch. We I got home from work and it had hatched. I was really excited. So I started looking around the breeder net for it and can't find a second hatchling anywhere. Omi, the hatchling from last Friday is out and about and no one else. Any thoughts? Would the 5 day old hatchling "eaten" the new hatch?

Thanks cuttlegirl. I noticed that two of the remaining three eggs have a "blister" looking protrusion near their attaching tissue...I am hoping that means these two are coming soon.

Still waiting for the final two eggs to hatch. The two hatchlings that I have a doing really well and eating. THe first hatched is obviously a bit larger and more active. The second one is still getting it's legs.

I was doing my Sat morning routine maintenance on the reef and the last of the cuttlefish hatched. One I didn't see and started out dissapointed that the egg was deflated and I didn't see the hatchling....then later I saw him/her. The absolute coolest thing then happened (and I could kick myself for not having my camera) but i saw the last egg hatch. Incredible. The cuttle popped out and so did an inky cloud that seemed to just linger. This last cuttle is the darkest of them and while they all change colors all the time, this one has the spiky skin and dark. I know that the skin will go smooth and it is part of their mood, but the others haven't exhibited that yet. So, good news is that all eggs have hatched.

I moved them to the larger in tank refugium and have sand on the bottom and a little macroalgae so they can have cover if they want it. I didn't think that even at so little they would have personalities, I guess I thought they would just be eating machines. I am picking out the smallest of the amphipods for them to eat, so will have to see how that goes. I ordered another batch of mysids but they won't be here till wed.

How cool is that, to wait and wait and wait and then actually be there at just the right time. A shame about the camera but sometimes worrying with one just gets in the way of enjoying what's happening (that being said, mine lives on the dining table :oops:)

Breeder Nets

So while the hatchlings are little the breeder net seems to be the simplist option for housing/feeding them. They seem to get pretty clogged with algae growth fast. Can you clean them? or do you just pitch them and get a new one. This is after a week. Would like to know what you all do.

Thanks

David

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back